Cleaning my Persian Cat

happylitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question for owners of flat
faced Persian cats. Does anyone know what is the best product to use to clean the beautiful fur on his chest? It gets very dirty after eating his wet canned meals. What about baking soda? I've used soap, but it's not good enough. Please give me some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What we always used to do at shows was (1) put a bib on the cat when he eats his wet food, and (2) use cornstarch as a cleaning agent afterwards.  It is edible and will not hurt him.  You take a little plain cornstarch and work it into the dirty or greasy area and let it sit about five to ten minutes.  Then you comb it out, first with a round tooth small comb if there are any tangles, and then with a fine metal flea comb.  The corn starch will absorb the oil and make little balls that the comb will remove.  Keep pulling this sediment out of the flea comb and soon there will be none left on the cat.  Until the next time he licks himself.  And if you are about to go up in a ring in front of a judge, keep the bib on him until then. 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just use a large disposable coffee filter or a paper towel with a hole for his neck torn in the center. Tear rather than cut since it won't damage the coat that way. I have found that much easier than trying to use a bib on a cat that isn't used to it (less laundry too- always a good thing!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happylitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear posiepurrs, I was just going to post my new discovery of putting a baby bib on my cat when he eats his wet food. You beat me to it. However you've enlightened me to washing the front fur with cornstarch, etc. Actually, I was trying to do that and it didn't work by itself. Now with the bib, he is CLEAN. I love it.

I will think about using a large disposable coffee filter instead. So far I'm happy with the bib. Thanks for your advice!

happylitter