Cleaning Logistics after Tapeworms?

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I feel a little silly asking for this advice. My cat just got a tapeworm treatment shot at the vet today (poor guy). I’m wondering when would be the best time to do the deep clean? I assume that it will still take a couple days to really get rid of them- so do I do a good litter box clean today and again in a couple days?
I’ve been vacuuming and cleaning other surfaces daily since discovering the worms issue!

thanks a lot!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms require fleas to complete their life cycle, so you don't really have to clean a lot, it's just not transmissable that way. But you do have to get rid of the fleas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms require fleas to complete their life cycle, so you don't really have to clean a lot, it's just not transmissable that way. But you do have to get rid of the fleas!
Oh I see, thanks! Oddly enough, I haven’t found a single flea. Really not sure how he got them!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it only takes one, really, and it could have hopped in at any time, who knows! And its takes a while for tapeworms to get to the point where they're noticeable, so it probably wasn't recent.

But also, fleas are really sneaky, so be extra sure they aren't starting to invade, and a dose of something like Revolution or Advantage Multi wouldn't be a bad idea, really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it only takes one, really, and it could have hopped in at any time, who knows! And its takes a while for tapeworms to get to the point where they're noticeable, so it probably wasn't recent.

But also, fleas are really sneaky, so be extra sure they aren't starting to invade, and a dose of something like Revolution or Advantage Multi wouldn't be a bad idea, really.
Dang those sneaky flies! I just ordered some, thanks for the tips!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe Feeby got tapeworms from a mosquito - long time ago. She did not have fleas. Once treated for tapeworms, she was fine. But, treating for flea prevention is always a good idea!