Cleaning Cat Fountain

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I have a ceramic cat fountain that I put away after my elderly cat passed earlier this year, but I just adopted a new kitten and thought she might like it. Problem is, it's got quite a bit of hard water buildup on the tower. It's still perfectly functional, but I'd like it to be clean and fresh when I present it to my little girl. Does anyone have any advice on cleaning it off?
7F999DC1-8E3D-4544-92F6-6BB47E49DDC4_1_105_c.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Remove the motor and electrical parts and soak the fountain in vinegar to dissolve the chalky deposits. You may need to rub with a sponge or brush to remove the deposits. Rinse and then wash with dish soap and water.

There's a thread with more info on cleaning fountains: Cat fountain mineral build-up solution

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read a thread about this over the weekend. Two things that work:
1. Coffee pot descaler tablets or solution
2. 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water

Rinse very well after either approach.

If you can afford it, I recommend getting a second fountain so you can always have a clean one set out. No out-of-service signs at the drinking fountain. Once a week, swap in the clean one. You will have a week to clean the dirty one. 👍

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just read a thread about this over the weekend. Two things that work:
1. Coffee pot descaler tablets or solution
2. 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water

Rinse very well after either approach.

If you can afford it, I recommend getting a second fountain so you can always have a clean one set out. No out-of-service signs at the drinking fountain. Once a week, swap in the clean one. You will have a week to clean the dirty one. 👍
I used the descaler liquid from my Keurig and wiped down the parts that had the buildup.

And I AM going to have to get a second fountain. I cleaned Delilah's fountain and had to run out for an hour while it was in the dishwasher. I left her a regular bowl of water. When I got home, she was glaring at me and meowing like "how dare you leave me with THAT!" I got her fountain put back together and filled and she went right to it, which she usually doesn't do when I'm watching her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I ended up boiling a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar and dumping it in there. It's not perfect, but it got a vast majority of the hard water off and I think it should be good enough now. I may end up having to buy another one if Cassiopeia likes it.