Cleaning Cat Fountain

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I have a ceramic cat fountain that I put away after my elderly cat passed earlier this year, but I just adopted a new kitten and thought she might like it. Problem is, it's got quite a bit of hard water buildup on the tower. It's still perfectly functional, but I'd like it to be clean and fresh when I present it to my little girl. Does anyone have any advice on cleaning it off?
7F999DC1-8E3D-4544-92F6-6BB47E49DDC4_1_105_c.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read a thread about this over the weekend. Two things that work:
1. Coffee pot descaler tablets or solution
2. 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water

Rinse very well after either approach.

If you can afford it, I recommend getting a second fountain so you can always have a clean one set out. No out-of-service signs at the drinking fountain. Once a week, swap in the clean one. You will have a week to clean the dirty one. 👍

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just read a thread about this over the weekend. Two things that work:
1. Coffee pot descaler tablets or solution
2. 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water

Rinse very well after either approach.

If you can afford it, I recommend getting a second fountain so you can always have a clean one set out. No out-of-service signs at the drinking fountain. Once a week, swap in the clean one. You will have a week to clean the dirty one. 👍
I used the descaler liquid from my Keurig and wiped down the parts that had the buildup.

And I AM going to have to get a second fountain. I cleaned Delilah's fountain and had to run out for an hour while it was in the dishwasher. I left her a regular bowl of water. When I got home, she was glaring at me and meowing like "how dare you leave me with THAT!" I got her fountain put back together and filled and she went right to it, which she usually doesn't do when I'm watching her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I ended up boiling a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar and dumping it in there. It's not perfect, but it got a vast majority of the hard water off and I think it should be good enough now. I may end up having to buy another one if Cassiopeia likes it.