Cleaning Carpet with deeply set in cat urine smell

pinkremote21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I have a question I'm hoping I can get some answers for.
My cats have peed all over the carpet in my living room, the entire down stairs of my house smells terrible of cat urine.
I've tried soaking it in vinegar over and over again with no luck, the smell is pretty set it.
I'm looking into renting a carpet cleaner to attempt to get rid of the smell.
However I am extremely confused, on the humane society website it says specifically to only use wet extracting vacs and to avoid steam cleaners because the heat with set the smell in permanently. But then it also says to only use water and no soap in them for best results. Which doesn't make sense to me on how it would actually get the smell out, then I was looking at Natures Miracle Advanced Deep Cleaning Carpet Shampoo and it recommends using a steam cleaner. I am seriously so confused, I am renting my house and don't want to permanently set the smell in, but I want to get it out it truly is horrible I cant even stand being in my living room because of it. Sorry this is so long I just need some advice.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site ! And, no apologies on the length of your post!! It was quite short actually. :nod: I hope we can be of some help and this topic is one that comes up so frequently too.

In all honesty - it sounds REALLY bad and that the carpet may be past salvaging at all. :(. IF the urine has soaked into the wood floor below then the carpet must be pulled up and the floor painted over to seal in and cover the soaked wood floor. Of course, it must be completely dry first before painting. IF you don't think it has soaked that deeply into the floor and you want to try to just clean the carpet here is a great article on how to do so properly. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

ALSO - might this article be of some help too on how to combat litter box issues. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-solve-litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide

Last edited: