Cleaning bedding - sterilising fluid?

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to clean my cats bedding for her litter as I’m quite conscious about young kittens getting infections.
The bedding is already fairly clean before washing and or new from the shop, and I have been trying to wash at 60 degrees to kill bacteria that could be lurking. Some of the bedding is 30 degree maximum wash however and there are some things like the pillows that can’t be machine washed according to the label and instead need hand washing.
I had heard Milton sterilising fluid was good for washing bowls etc in and I wondered if that was any good for fabrics also? I.e could I fill a bath with water, add fluid and soak pillows etc?
There have been some conflicting things online so I’m in two minds about using it, I haven’t yet to be safe but I’d also like to make sure the bedding is clean enough for the kittens. I didn’t know if just washing up liquid and water or maybe white vinegar would be good enough at killing bacteria instead as it’s more natural. Also I don’t know if I’m just overthinking the cleanliness and really a 30 degree wash would suffice.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
:wave2:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about the Lysol Laundry Sanitizer? They have a "Free and Clear" formula.
Lysol® Laundry Sanitizer Free & Clear

I did the live chat with a representative on their official site. And they assured me that this product is safe to use on cat/pet bedding. As long as the fabric can take it. There are some fabrics that they recommend you don't use it on.
I would just make sure to do an extra rinse cycle perhaps?...Just to be extra sure...

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Detergents and soaps do a *very* good job killing bacteria and viruses. (I read a lot about this because I cared for a person that was on liquid food that went directly into his bloodstream). Soap dissolves the fatty layer that keeps these viruses and bacteria intact, and their insides spill out and they are dead. The dead and any remaining living viruses and bacteria are also picked up by the soap and down the drain they go when you rinse .

Handwashing the pillows will be fine. You can also dry things in the sunlight. The sun kills viruses very well. Bacteria, maybe yes, maybe no. Some bacteria have a protective cover (could be wrong on this). But soap and detergent flush them away. Other options are bleach and there is also a sanitizing laundry product for items that can't be bleached. It's meant to be used in the rinse cycle, and needs a bit of soaking time to work.

You don't need sterile, it's not an operating room procedure. Just ordinary good sanitation.

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to add that hot water, detergent and bleach are the best for immune compromised people or pets or some terrible pathogen, that kind of thing. I do use hot water and bleach or laundry sanitizer on kitchen linens and the like, and/or hang them to dry in the sun if I can. But that is more than what's needed for most situations. These organisms live everywhere, including on us and in the air. Once you clean something, unless it's in sterile packaging, it's all full of viruses and bacteria again pronto.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats have a very good sense of smell, I washed a cat blanket in regular detergent and afterwards they refused to use it. I would think they’re be able to smell the bleach

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I would just use unscented detergent in the warmest water the fabric tolerates and be comfortable that the laundry is really clean.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There have been some conflicting things online so I’m in two minds about using it, I haven’t yet to be safe but I’d also like to make sure the bedding is clean enough for the kittens. I didn’t know if just washing up liquid and water or maybe white vinegar would be good enough at killing bacteria instead as it’s more natural. Also I don’t know if I’m just overthinking the cleanliness and really a 30 degree wash would suffice.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
:wave2:
Safest is to use a steam cleaner. It's non toxic and it does the job without you worrying about any harmful chemicals even though it states pet safe.

A fairly good brand steam cleaner will do a good job as the temperature is high enough to do deep steam cleaning and high heat kills germs and such.