Cleaning Aluminum Pans

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought I would share this tip for everyone who has been doing lots of baking and whose aluminum pans are showing it. I think I am fairly thorough at washing my baking pans but inevitably they get gunked up with baked on grease around the edges and get pretty disgusting looking. I have tried the vinegar, baking soda, barkeeper’s friend methods of cleaning them but I wear out before they ever get clean. My solution until now was to just toss them every few years and buy new ones.

But I recently tried something I found on YouTube and it actually works. You spray them with oven cleaner, wait a bit and wipe them clean. The thing is, though, that the oven cleaner also removes all the shine off of the aluminum. They are at least free of grease but not too attractive. Then I discovered that once you scrub them a couple times with a scotch pad, they shine right back up! Something to try if you have some pans or cookie sheets in bad condition.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! Like you, I break out the elbow grease and have tried everything, and it doesn't do as good as a job as I want. I even went so far as to use de-greasing cleaner meant for tools and such......which sort of freaked me out a bit due to the chemicals...although it worked pretty good. I just washed them really good by hand then put them in the dishwasher for good measure.
I will try this the next time I need to de gunk my baking pans/sheets.
Do you know if it is safe to use on dark or non stick pans?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! Like you, I break out the elbow grease and have tried everything, and it doesn't do as good as a job as I want. I even went so far as to use de-greasing cleaner meant for tools and such......which sort of freaked me out a bit due to the chemicals...although it worked pretty good. I just washed them really good by hand then put them in the dishwasher for good measure.
I will try this the next time I need to de gunk my baking pans/sheets.
Do you know if it is safe to use on dark or non stick pans?
I kind of think not but I suppose you could try it on one you are willing to sacrifice if it doesn’t work. All of mine are plain aluminum.