cleaning after cat passed of FIP

kaleneweth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there,

My cat passed of FIP December 1. I have a large cat post that I wanted to donate in memory of him since he was a rescue to a shelter. One shelter did not want to take it just incase since their shelter had a large epidemic of FIP kittens. This other shelter will take it. From my research I know that the FIP virus can not last long outside of the cat's body. The cat post has been in my car, I live in a cold place, since Dec 1. I went on Dr. Addies website about FIP prevention. I just am a bit overwhelmed. I am trying to find a eco-friendly cat post cleaner and it is harder that I imagined. In the FIP support group I am in it says the corona virus usually can't last more than 7 weeks and it has been almost that. I just wanted advice on how to clean this cat post, and I guess how to clean in general before getting another cat. I moved out of the place where Garfunk (my kitty that passed:( ) was but I still have his toys and what not. I would appreciate any advice. I want to make sure I have done my research and cleaning so I know this cat post won't be a risk to the cats in the shelter. Thank you 

fellow cat lover

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you lost your guy Garfunk
  FIP is the absolue WORST and I hate it with a passion.  Too many kitties are dying form it

What did the FIP support group advise on this?  As far as I know, FIP itself it not contagious, only the Coronavirus.  So if he had FIP, I would think the coronavirus is long gone, but if you want to be entirely safe, can you wash his toys in the washer and just clean his litterbox out with water and a little bit of bleach.  That's how I clean ours out anyway, about once a month. 

As far as the shelter that is willing to take the cat post, they probably have their own way to treat it..or are you thinking you want to keep it now,for future cats?