Cleaning a cat tree

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So as part of the adoption that we recently had (2 seven month old kittens), they gave a free cat tree from the shelter. It wasn't new, it was donated - but it's in good shape and we can't wait to set it up for the kitties. My question is, of course we are going to vacuum it thoroughly, but what else should/can I do? Should I disinfect it, and how would I do that?

thanks!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, bless you for adopting! I did some online research because I didn't know the answer myself. They recommended vacuuming, then using something called "Urine Off", followed by a pet safe cleanser. I imagine these types of products would be available in a pet store or maybe Chewy.com. I understand your concerns and hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Steam cleaning will work for most of it, but we wanted to use a pet safe cleanser for the scratching areas. Anyone recommend a good brand that is safe?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vinegar and water mix is probably the safest cleanser out there. But if you are looking to try and eliminate past animal scents and what not, using an enzyme cleaner would work. You can find enzyme cleaners at pretty much any pet store. They are used to eliminate urine and fecal stains and smells. I've used Nature's Miracle before.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
but we wanted to use a pet safe cleanser for the scratching areas.
Steam cleaning is best as it does not leave any other scents of a safe cleanser. After you have thoroughly steam clean it, use a towel that your cat sleeps on or use a soft cloth and gently wipe down on your cat's body and then use the same towel or cloth and go rub his scent over the cleaned scratch area so that the scratch area smells familiar to him.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it's a good idea to really clean out the scratching areas with a cleanser as it will remove the scents left by your cat and if your cat smell the cleanser, he might not use that scratcher anymore.
Based on the original post this is a tree used by other cats, so destroying the scent of previous cats is not an issue:
So as part of the adoption that we recently had (2 seven month old kittens), they gave a free cat tree from the shelter. It wasn't new, it was donated - but it's in good shape and we can't wait to set it up for the kitties.
But, this does bring up a thought - once you do get it cleaned, you might want to rub your kitties scent on the tree (or, maybe even cat nip) to help entice them to feel comfortable with using it. Slightly damp towels rubbed on your kitties and then rubbed on the cat tree should hopefully help to get them past any cleaners that might be used.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Based on the original post this is a tree used by other cats, so destroying the scent of previous cats is not an issue:
Yes, I know. I replied the post through the Alerts as you mentioned me and without reading the first post and replied :lol: and after that, I realized it and I have edited my post.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an old "Slicker" brush that I use to clean fur off Theodore's cat tree. I also vac where I can.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
a wet rag works really well to get the fur off..found out by accident-spilled juice on the cat tree in the kitchen-and found it lifted the fuzz on it from Pumps..opps sorry didn't read the beginning=figured it was how to get fur off the carpet-vacuum doesn't always work for me...

also rubbing catnip on it could help attract them onto it and rub a cloth on kitties scent glands in their cheeks then rub it on the tree...