Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
  1. Hi Guest! Cat experts Esther Mechler (founder of Spay USA) and Dr. Phil Bushby, DVM will be here from August 13th through 15th.
    Visit this time-limited forum here and post your questions about spaying and neutering cats.

Clean Bill Of Health But His Breathing Rate Has Always Worried Me

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by Mango the Maine Coon, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mango the Maine Coon

Mango the Maine Coon Thread Starter Big Kitten Adult Cat

Mar 3, 2018
    He’s had several physical exams and whatever tests they do for a new kitten health check. He’s very attached to me so he’s almost always purring when he’s sleeping near me. The higher rate of respiration could definitely just be that he’s purr breathing. I’m still anxious though because he’s less than a year old and a lot can go wrong.

• Sleeping while purring it comes out to about 54 breaths per min.
    •Deepest sleep it is around 30bpm.

Thank you for any insight or just commenting to say “my cat is like this”. It is much appreciated. :heartshape:

2. mightyboosh

mightyboosh TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Oliver's breathing is quite fast when he's purring but I've never counted it. I've dug up this thread for you. It is about a younger kitten than yours and I don't know if breathing rates are different at varying ages.

Kitten Always Breathing Fast

Mango the Maine Coon purraised this.

3. Mango the Maine Coon

Mango the Maine Coon Thread Starter Big Kitten Adult Cat

Mar 3, 2018
    Hey thanks I will read through that one now, before I posted I went back and read a few that seemed related but missed this one.

Update: just looked at the thread you linked and it made me feel a lot better about it. :dizzycat:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    mightyboosh purraised this.