Clay Like Poo??

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
so the past few days I've noticed one of my cats poops is very clay like... as in it is gray in color and has the look of sculpting wet clay (like you used in art class) the poop isnt runny at all. its holding its shape and seems firm, just looks... moist and gray? its very strange. it also has a VERY foul smell. like more than normal. my cats are both eating grain free wet food only. the only thing i can find online about this is possible liver issues? but that didnt say the stool was gray and clay like it just said change in color could be a symptom. thanks!

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitty is up to date on it's yearly physical exam drop a stool sample off at your vets office. The techs love looking at poo :) at my work we are called poop detectives. Aside from liver issues, bacterial overgrowth can potentially also cause this. The least expensive place that I would consider starting is to have a fecal examination. Is you kitty acting normal in every other sense? If it's not then it maybe wise to take not only a stool sample but also the kitty in as well...

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pale, grey, putty colored like wet clay like stool is caused by absence of bile pigments in the intestinal tract. The foul smell is another marker. This normally indicates complete bile obstruction associated with primary liver disease. This is not good!

Take your cat to cat to a vet ASAP. Liver disease can be very serious.

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Liver issues also cause a handful of other symptoms like the cat to appear jaundice (have yellowing of the skin), dark yellow urine, vomiting, loss of appetite....or a significant increase in appetite, and weight loss. I agree with the above, ESPECIALLY if your noticing ANY of the above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
both my cats are acting completely normal aside from this. stool has been normal for a few days but when it happens again I'll def take it into the vet

Cat noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
both my cats are acting completely normal aside from this. stool has been normal for a few days but when it happens again I'll def take it into the vet
Hey did you ever find out what the issue was? I recently got a kitten and he was constipated for almost two weeks. After I switched him to his weaning he started to poop normally but now is poop is exactly like clay!!! I’ve read that it could be bile and intestinal issues but he’s acting normal, running playing, hopping, craving attention. The only concern is his poop it’s like clay and smelly but that’s it.

Cat noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a reaction to certain foods or medicines too. I would bring a sample in.....
Do you think it could be due to the food? Also he pooped again today and it had a bit of green to the poop so perhaps it’s getting better...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any houseplants he could be chewing on ? If so you might lock them up for a while. Any cows milk at all, that is upsetting too.
Green is not normal either. I would monitor his stool for a few days and if There is no change, bring in a sample.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mentioned above about the food - check any/all food you feed him to see the colors involved. Some food/food colorings used will affect poop color for sure. The green is unusual, but if you've made any recent food changes that could include that color (Meow Mix, Fancy Feast come to mind), that could be the cause. It could also be one of the treats you feed him as well. Food changes in general could have something to do with it too.

Cat noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any houseplants he could be chewing on ? If so you might lock them up for a while. Any cows milk at all, that is upsetting too.
Green is not normal either. I would monitor his stool for a few days and if There is no change, bring in a sample.
Yes actually!! He recently discovered cheese as he learned how to climb and got to the bagel cheese that was out on the table. Just last night the poop he did was a bit more green but no changes in his behavior or anything, still active as ever.

Cat noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As mentioned above about the food - check any/all food you feed him to see the colors involved. Some food/food colorings used will affect poop color for sure. The green is unusual, but if you've made any recent food changes that could include that color (Meow Mix, Fancy Feast come to mind), that could be the cause. It could also be one of the treats you feed him as well. Food changes in general could have something to do with it too.
I’m feeding him “ Special Kitty, Tukery and Giblets dinner Paté” while last night his stool was a bit more green today it had just the tiniest brown tint to it. I think this may have been due to some bread I gave him last night. ( Dont worry it was a little bit and i used it as a treat) but perhaps it is the food he’s eating bc I used to feed him olives and his stool was brown but immediately changed when I ran out and had to use special kitty.