Clawing Furniture!

Roxyblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so who else have cats that no matter how many scratching posts, Condos etc that they have there's some in the brood that still claw the friggin furniture?? lol I foster for the rescues here so I have had all kinds of kittens bottle fed to adults, And I have 9 cats right now.. And also the jumping on the counter and table and I tell them to GET DOWN! they'll give me a defiant look n after about the 3rd time of telling them they'll jump down. Then turn around and jump right back up there. I have spray bottles with water in them. Even that just chases them away for a second n they're back to being naughty lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roxyblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh they're not kittens they're all older

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my mom vinyl couch scratch guard stickers that worked great. After 6 months they started peeling off. Not bad for under $10! I just bought some for my little bottle brat who has picked up the bad habit of scratching furniture at Nana’s house! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel you.

I have long accepted the fact that my cats are the real owners of my house and I am just there to pay the mortgage or the rent.

Should there be any damaged furnitures because of their beautiful claws my contract is that I also need to replace them or just accept them as they are. :lol:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm seriously considering throwing out 3 cat trees of various heights. My cats don't enjoy heights at all - the floor is warmer and they are much closer to mice and birds (and other cats) who happen to be on the terrace or drinking from the pond. (My windows go down to floor level). I have one tall, single scratching post which they all use for conventional reasons, but furniture, walls, windows and doors are there for making political demonstrations. They get my attention all right! I have 4 cats - maybe too many?

I have ordered a company to come by and pick up some unwanted furniture. The cats have 3 weeks to show me that they will use these cat trees, otherwise they will go. It will be nice to have a bit more space.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used double-sided tape, in the tape section of Walmart, or probably anywhere, with success. Just put three or four strips on each corner where they ate scaratching, cover the area well, you can always lessen the amount later as they quit. then eventually they learn it is yucky to scratch there and quit. What's nice about it is it is clear. The sticky tape sticks to their paws and they hate it. If it is hanging and you have to replace it, it is working. You might check online for clear corner guards for furniture. My cats all love those corrugated cardboard LARGE scratchers and now use those exclusively.
As for counters, I have my cats ONE section they can sit on, all others are off-limits and they get scolded and set on that section if they wander. It seems to have made them happy. I set a little fleece blanket up there to mark the spot and put it under the counter when I am not in the kitchen.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm seriously considering throwing out 3 cat trees of various heights. My cats don't enjoy heights at all - ....
I would suggest cat cubes or low to the ground cat caves. A padded bench with a sheet or curtain around it with some beds under it would let them have safe hiding places and free up some space since it will work as seating. Some cats are not climbers. Mine is a tree climbing jungle kitty!

For your trees, have you secured them? Some trees wobble (like my 7 foot tree.) You can add bricks or sealed jugs of water to the base to weight it down. I’m planning on securing it to the wall.

I would add that at first Jackie didn’t like his new tree. However I spent a month luring him higher & higher with wand toys. So try treats and toys at the base of the cat trees. Then get them to go to the first level, even if just for a few minutes. When Jackie finally went to the top, I wanted to throw a party. Now he sleeps up there occasionally.

Also they might like the mini bed/scratcher.

Jacki at the tippy top:
09D3494C-0B20-453E-9500-BFF3ABA3B63D.jpeg
91DB4917-1D47-4557-9013-9AD369C05371.jpeg

Nick taking over the mini bed/scratcher:
7EBA903E-E248-44BE-97C5-9F528F9A1D5E.jpeg

The cat cube with Dante .... my mom’s cat (a cave cat like yours) loved it so much I left it with her. I got it off chewy & it doesn’t take up much space at all.
7CB1A367-96D3-4BD8-99D8-F6DB9A94F1C0.jpeg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foams on my sticky tape for cats (off amazon for cheap) just arrived. I’m going to put it on the buffet part of the counter to see if he can learn to quit crossing over the counter to go to the kitchen! 😈

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has two articles with tips:

The spray bottle thing doesn't work for cats: 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat [Or otherwise punish them] – TheCatSite Articles

Roxyblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest cat cubes or low to the ground cat caves. A padded bench with a sheet or curtain around it with some beds under it would let them have safe hiding places and free up some space since it will work as seating. Some cats are not climbers. Mine is a tree climbing jungle kitty!

For your trees, have you secured them? Some trees wobble (like my 7 foot tree.) You can add bricks or sealed jugs of water to the base to weight it down. I’m planning on securing it to the wall.

I would add that at first Jackie didn’t like his new tree. However I spent a month luring him higher & higher with wand toys. So try treats and toys at the base of the cat trees. Then get them to go to the first level, even if just for a few minutes. When Jackie finally went to the top, I wanted to throw a party. Now he sleeps up there occasionally.

Also they might like the mini bed/scratcher.

Jacki at the tippy top:
View attachment 366234
View attachment 366238

Nick taking over the mini bed/scratcher:
View attachment 366236

The cat cube with Dante .... my mom’s cat (a cave cat like yours) loved it so much I left it with her. I got it off chewy & it doesn’t take up much space at all.
View attachment 366239
The one you have at the very top is one that was given to us if it's got the little hammock on the side a little lower n a few more little side steps another round thing towards the bottom? if so they've demolished the crap out of it lol I've got another one next to that one that's actually wood underneath the carpet that's covering it n we've had that one for years lol n they've shredded the bottom part but it's held up longer than the other one. But We got rid of all our furniture in the living room for the longest time and then we finally just decided to put a futon couch in there with a rocker recliner n they've already tore out the bottom of the futon n created a hole in the top corner 🙃 what I don't get is what makes them start to do that?? and it's only like 3 of my cats that do it the little destructive B*stards! lol but we love them I just want real furniture back in my living room

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is two posts on a square base with a hammock bed between them. I got it off chewy along with my super tall cat tree with my 1st stimulus check.

That said my mom got me this cat tree (that looked new) from a garage sale, years ago. I just gave it back to her and took the hammock bed thing back (one of her cats claimed it right after I assembled it. Nick is lucky he is my favorite!) She is going to refurbish it. So your shredded cat post can be refurbished. (You can buy carpet remits on the cheap from carpet stores.) There are YouTube videos on how to do it for carpet or hemp rope. ⭐I gave it back to her because it was taller & had a nice wide bed on it that could fit two cats. Her cat tree was shorter and the bed had no rim.

I would still do cat cubes or caves or the bench idea & keep one small cat tree in your case.

Attachments

Roxyblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat is Beautiful! I love the markings and yes I know I can recover the parts of the one with the wood underneath the carpet and I've got cubes and all kinds of stuff we have a cat wall lol lol But I'm going to try out this shelf step like thing and make a walkway type thing up high along the wall so they can escape higher they like to climb to the highest points in my house lol