Claw trimming

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Willow has very long sharp claws that don;t retract all the way. We can't allow her to sit in our laps without a towel between her and our clothes.

I've noticed that our adopted cat, Dude, has started to be playful with her a few times, but seems to retreat after a few days and avoids her for a couple of weeks. This cycle has happend three times now. Oviously he wants to be friends, and so does she, but her claws are a huge issue when they play.

I clipped them when she was young, up to a year old, but I missed once and she never allowed me to clip them again. She can do serious damage with her claws when she struggles and I finally gave up. I have scars...

Veterinarians here refuse to clip cat claws. I've offered to pay whatever it costs to bring her in very couple of months, but they just won't do it. As a result, I have to let Dude's claws grow out, too.

Does anyone here have any advice to offer me? It makes me sad to see them start to play and then watch him retreat after she's cuffed him with her daggers.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does anyone here have any advice to offer me?
You can clip Willow's nails when she's asleep and when she's drowsy from her sleep. You don't have to clip them all at once. Be quick and precise and just clip one or two or three nails each day.

This is what I do when my boy is deep in his sleep and I quickly clip as many as I can. Once he's awake and staring at me, I'll stop and continue the next day when he's asleep.

IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thaks for the pictures. That is very helpful.

She allows me to handle her paws and rub the little pads and between her toes, so I might be able to tackle this. I feel like I need heavy gloves though.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thaks for the pictures. That is very helpful.

She allows me to handle her paws and rub the little pads and between her toes, so I might be able to tackle this. I feel like I need heavy gloves though.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Oh, if she allows you to handle her paws will be a great help. This way I think you should have no problems trimming her nails. You just need a little practice and after one round or two, you'll be an expert. Just remember, don't trim too deep. Once you clip the quick and it's gonna be painful for her and she might not let you do it the next time. So just be careful and don't be too adventurous. Clip off the sharp points will do. Sometimes the quick is very faint and long and not very visible to the eyes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A pet grooming place may trim cat claws.

You could also ask the vet techs if they could help you trim claws once a month or however often you need. Many vet techs pick up extra work on the side like pet sitting and such.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a cat whose previous owner didn't clip her claws and she was a little devil about letting me cut them. I started out doing just one and then letting her go before she tried to kill me. :lol2: Every time she'd come up on the couch, I'd try to do one or two and over time she got used to it to the point I could do a whole paw at a time.

:goodluck:

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can clip Willow's nails when she's asleep and when she's drowsy from her sleep. You don't have to clip them all at once. Be quick and precise and just clip one or two or three nails each day.

This is what I do when my boy is deep in his sleep and I quickly clip as many as I can. Once he's awake and staring at me, I'll stop and continue the next day when he's asleep.

View attachment 414182 View attachment 414183

View attachment 414184
I have the same problem with Buddy. His claws has not been cut since he got here in late February. Despite tearing into the cat scratcher (and some carpet), it doesn't seem to be doing much good. I'll try a sneak attack when he is asleep.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have the same problem with Buddy. His claws has not been cut since he got here in late February. Despite tearing into the cat scratcher (and some carpet), it doesn't seem to be doing much good. I'll try a sneak attack when he is asleep.
Ys, I just did my boy's nails yesterday while he was drowsy and I managed to trim 3 paws including the dewclaw. And later I did the other one paw. It's not every time I can do 3 paws. Sometimes only 2 claws on one attempt and the hardest ones are the dewclaws.

Don't be too adventurous, 2 - 3 nails a day will be good.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do give them a prized treat after the claw trimming. If there's something in it that's good for enduring the nail cutting, they'll be more likely to tolerate them. I've always done that and the cats get better about having the trim sessions over time.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ys, I just did my boy's nails yesterday while he was drowsy and I managed to trim 3 paws including the dewclaw. And later I did the other one paw. It's not every time I can do 3 paws. Sometimes only 2 claws on one attempt and the hardest ones are the dewclaws.

Don't be too adventurous, 2 - 3 nails a day will be good.
Right now he is applying for squatter's rights to a tiny 13" x 9" box he's been sleeping in since his second meal, so I cannot get to his paws. Hopefully in the evening he will pick a bed that gives me room to maneuver.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Right now he is applying for squatter's rights to a tiny 13" x 9" box he's been sleeping in since his second meal, so I cannot get to his paws. Hopefully in the evening he will pick a bed that gives me room to maneuver.
Maybe you can get someone to cary and hold him while you trim his nails. Sometimes it's a 2 man job for this.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can get someone to cary and hold him while you trim his nails. Sometimes it's a 2 man job for this.
I'm a recluse, so no one to help hold him. My options are limited to a cat groomer, vet, or DIY it. For the latter, the choices are a sneak attack when he is asleep (preferably after a catnip session), stick a sock on his head and try to cut a couple before he can get it off, or make a restraint bag...none conducive to building trust. I'm being cowardly and looking for nearby cat groomers. Failing that I'll ask at the vet. DIY will be a last resort.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm a recluse, so no one to help hold him. My options are limited to a cat groomer, vet, or DIY it. For the latter, the choices are a sneak attack when he is asleep (preferably after a catnip session), stick a sock on his head and try to cut a couple before he can get it off, or make a restraint bag...none conducive to building trust. I'm being cowardly and looking for nearby cat groomers. Failing that I'll ask at the vet. DIY will be a last resort.
Then just clip one or two nails a day will be good.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Willow has very long sharp claws that don;t retract all the way. We can't allow her to sit in our laps without a towel between her and our clothes.

I've noticed that our adopted cat, Dude, has started to be playful with her a few times, but seems to retreat after a few days and avoids her for a couple of weeks. This cycle has happend three times now. Oviously he wants to be friends, and so does she, but her claws are a huge issue when they play.

I clipped them when she was young, up to a year old, but I missed once and she never allowed me to clip them again. She can do serious damage with her claws when she struggles and I finally gave up. I have scars...

Veterinarians here refuse to clip cat claws. I've offered to pay whatever it costs to bring her in very couple of months, but they just won't do it. As a result, I have to let Dude's claws grow out, too.

Does anyone here have any advice to offer me? It makes me sad to see them start to play and then watch him retreat after she's cuffed him with her daggers.
Only thing I can think of is the 'sock over the head and work quick' trick, or make/buy a restraint bag...neither option is going to get you on her favorite person list. I'd consider it a last resort, and see if there are any local cat groomers brave enough to pass the buck to. Google found me a couple possibilities.