Claw Trimming

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the best way to hold a cat and trim their claws?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Some cats can keep still and allow you to carry them and place them on your lap. Some prefer to sit or lie where they are.

Some may struggle to get free when they are held. Depending on the cat and their mood. Sometimes it's a one man job but sometimes it takes two person to do the job.

Whatever it is, try not to scare the kitty and try not to clip the quick else it'll bleed and it's painful and the kitty will not like it makes nail trimming more difficult.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use to do it more often but it seems as they get older they got more fussy about it.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been very lucky with my two. I can just scoop them up and place them on my lap (sort of on their back but not quite, they're still in a sitting position) and begin trimming. I mostly just focus on the tips of their claws. They sometimes squirm a little but once they realize I'm not letting them down until I'm finished, they relax. I think they understand that it's over quicker if they just let me do it. :lol: I also give them a treat after as a reward.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally sit on the floor and cradle the cat in my lap, feet up. I do one side with their head to the left, then do the other side with their head to the right. Fortunately, the two big cats are pretty good with it. The little one fusses a lot. Sometimes, I can do only one foot a day with her, but it eventually all gets done. When it goes well, all four feet take a little less than a minute.

I make sure they get a treat afterward to provide positive reinforcement.

It helps to handle their feet during cuddle sessions or light play, as much as can be done. Gets them used to the general posture and feeling.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seconding when they're half asleep! If I try when my cat is alert, she just escapes me. Plus, she hates being held, so I never get more than one done. I do it during the afternoon when she's snoozing on my bed. I pet her a lot, and clip a few at a time. Seems to work with minimal fuss.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby comes up on my recliner, and when she is asleep, I take the opportunity to trim her nails. She wakes up and near the end starts to protest, but when she realizes I mean business, she tolerates the rest. If she is awake, I can put her in my lap, kind of sitting up with her back against me and cut them that way. She is a reasonably tolerant cat.

Gracie (who passed away many years ago) was a whole other story. It was a two person job! One holding and one clipping.

I have even known people to take their cats to a vet and have them sedated for nail trims, but I would try EVERYTHING else first.