claw trimming PANIC [not just anxiety!]

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two things totally freak Hezký out and send him into an absolute PANIC:   going to the vet [he has to be sedated before we can even get him out of the carrier] and me touching his feet.

He hasn't let me anywhere near his feet for 3 months now and his claws are deadly weapons. He's always liked to knead on me and when they started to get long, he learned to keep his claws in while doing it. But now even that doesn't help and he can't knead on me at all. Kneading on the blanket isn't good enough for him. We're both sad. That was always a bonding thing for the 2 of us. He also can't put his front paws up against my leg any more and he thinks he's always in trouble. :(

I'm going to call his vet next week, but I'm wondering if there's such a thing as medicating him before I try to trim his claws? I know that's extreme, but I don't see any other way . . . :(

----------

Back story:

He and Malý used to be fine with me trimming their nails. I started when they were 6 weeks old and could get all four paws at once with no problems. When they were about 1.5yo, they started getting uncomfortable with it, so we switched to front paws/back paws every 2 weeks. That worked for 9 months. Then out of nowhere, Hezký just LOST IT when I sat him next to me to trim his claws. I hadn't even got the clippers anywhere NEAR him yet. I put the clippers down and was trying to get him to settle down a bit before I let him go, when he CHOMPED down on my hand. I do have to confess, I did not handle it very well. It was traumatic for both of us.

For a couple of weeks, he'd allow me to get ONE claw a day in exchange for a nummy. But then he decided even that was too much to bear.

I did trim Maly's too short a couple of times in the beginning, but I never have with his.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you have to sedate him to take him to the vet, could you sedate him just to clip his claws?  I had one that was that way and tranquilizers and a body wrap in a towel were sufficient to get it done without bloodshed, and then he got lots of treats afterwards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm wondering: if there's such a thing as the vet prescribing something that I can give him at home?

I can't take him to the vet every month. It's just too much for him. Also, we've tried 3 different kinds of sedation, they all have negative side-effects and I don't want to have to do that to him on a regular basis. [and, it's cost prohibitive]

Trying to burrito him makes things a zillion times worse, panic-wise and I'm sure that it would still do that unless he was totally unconscious  - which I do not want to do at home!

and YES! They both get nummies after claw trimming and when they have to take medicine.

Last edited: