Claw problems?

Bubbkesbobbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know what this is on my cats claws? She has it on the middle paw of both front paws only, so two in total.
our vets are only open for emergencies only and it doesn’t seem to be bothering her. Waking eating and grooming all normal.Coat and eyes are lovely condition.
I was thinking it could be overgrown skin as she is over 16 (rescue).
Thank you

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Fungus can present that way, but I am not sure how to explain it being on just those two claws. Does she go outside? I gather this is a recent development? Do you trim her nails regularly? Any recent changes in litter?

Does your vet accept emails/pics? If so, perhaps you send them a pic and ask if they recognize what it might be. There may be an OTC treatment they would recommend to see if you can eradicate it. Have you tried to use something like olive oil on those claws see if that removes it?

If it were to be fungal in nature, you could try to use a chamomile tea solution on them. Buy standard grocery store chamomile tea bags (which are generally German, you don't want English or any additives/flavorings), brew one in water, cool the liquid, and gently rub it on those claws with cotton balls or a soft cloth - at least a couple times a day. The tea has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It also is a healing/soothing agent - and is safe for her to ingest.

Hope other members come along soon and offer their ideas!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It kinda does look like overgrown skin or toenail fungous. Can she retract those claws? Another thought is could it be dried kitty litter? like if you use clumping clay could it be that stuck to the claws? Or even dried mud or clay if she goes outside? Have you tried washing it off?

I wouldn't really see this as an emergency, but maybe as suggested if you can e-mail them a pic or even call and explain what it looks like. Hopefully they can put a note on your file to give you a call when they are excepting non emergency appointments again and just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse until then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubbkesbobbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it.
She can retract them and I posted on another forum at the same time and I got a couple of replies saying their elderly cats have it too so I think it’s an age thing.
i will keep an eye on it and once everything is back to normal will look at getting it checked out.