Claw on Right Rear Paw isn't growing, and keeps cracking...

Art.bean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. My cat - Arthur, 9 month - looks like he’s got a weird claw deformity happening...? its only affecting one claw right now, but it looks like the nail itself isn't growing. its really short compared to all of his other nails and it keeps cracking up and splitting. I know its sometimes normal for cats nails to split when shedding, but this nail sheds on all sides and its looks like you can see some blood vessels under it... a couple months ago I noticed his nails were shedding on his front paws and one of the nails cracked to the point where you could see his blood vessels, but that healed in less than a month. His rear paw has been having this problem for months now and its only that one nail! I dont cut their rear paw nails but ill trim a little bit off of their front paws once a month or two. Arthur is an outside cat, and he’s out probably 6 hours throughout the day and overnight im not too sure how long. I don't know if this is something natural and normal for cats or if I need to take him to the vet. I researched a bit online but im finding mixed opinions and different cases. I just made this account yesterday and its my first time making a post like this on any forum so I hope I gave all the information needed. Thanks!

IMG_0880.jpeg
IMG_0882.jpeg
IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_0887.jpeg
IMG_0888.jpeg
IMG_0889.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Has this been happening for a while, or is it recent? Juma had similar claws on her back paws when she carpet-burned them to the quick. They took a while to grow back and look like her healthy claws, but they’re right as rain now :>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Art.bean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed it a few months ago. I made sure to kind of let it heal on its own but I noticed it just looks worse - shorter/more broke/cracked then it originally did. I tried to see if I could find anything around the house that might be contributing to this but I haven't found anything really... and its weird because its only one nail, and the rest of his other nails are perfectly healthy and long

Art.bean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has this been happening for a while, or is it recent? Juma had similar claws on her back paws when she carpet-burned them to the quick. They took a while to grow back and look like her healthy claws, but they’re right as rain now :>
I noticed it a few months ago. I made sure to kind of let it heal on its own but I noticed it just looks worse - shorter/more broke/cracked then it originally did. I tried to see if I could find anything around the house that might be contributing to this but I haven't found anything really... and its weird because its only one nail, and the rest of his other nails are perfectly healthy and long

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Unsure what it could be, in that case. If it doesn’t seem to be getting worse, and doesn’t have a bad odour, I wouldn’t worry too much. Have you noticed it bothering him? I think it’s something to bring up next time you visit the vet, but not something to go specifically to the vet for, at this stage.

Art.bean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unsure what it could be, in that case. If it doesn’t seem to be getting worse, and doesn’t have a bad odour, I wouldn’t worry too much. Have you noticed it bothering him? I think it’s something to bring up next time you visit the vet, but not something to go specifically to the vet for, at this stage.
I haven't noticed anything much else from it, just other than the fact that its splitting right down in the middle and not growing. I don't think theres any pain, at least not that I've noticed. he walks perfectly fine and he's not bitting/licking it. Whenever I got to inspect it, he gets fussy after a couple seconds, but I feel like he does that with all of his paws and he just doesn't really like being held still for long.

I'l be taking him for his yearly check up soon so I'll bring it up. But thank you !!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Does this at all look like it could be a fungus? They don't all smell or cause pain.