Claw caps?

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times.

I am currently remodeling my house, so Friday is staying with my parents for awhile. He has free run of the house most of the time, but has a home base set up in my old bedroom and is put in there overnight. The problem is he wants out sometimes to just do cat stuff, and is scratching up the door, the wall, and the carpeting by the door. He is also very scratchy when he’s affectionate as he kneads a lot and walks on your lap - fine with me but my parents are older and he does give them some cuts.

He will probably be there for another month or two, and I had heard about claw caps previously. But reviews on the web are all over the place. Has anyone used these? Are they okay to use, and are some brands more trustworthy than others?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They work great. Don’t do all the nails at once. Get brand name soft paws. Don’t clip the nails unless super long. Fill cap 3/4 way with glue. Don’t glue to the nail bed, just the nail.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat fights pills or the carrier, you might want to take him and the caps to the vet to be put on. They have more people one to hold him and one to do it. They are less likely to get the glue in his mouth, eyes or fur than you working alone. A tech can do it, you don't need the actual vet.

For the scratched woodwork, mayonnaise, cover the scratches and let it sit over night. Wood color doesn't matter, Next morning wipe off remaining mayo. You'll be amazed at how well it works. Obviously, this is for after kitty goes home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your cat fights pills or the carrier, you might want to take him and the caps to the vet to be put on. They have more people one to hold him and one to do it. They are less likely to get the glue in his mouth, eyes or fur than you working alone. A tech can do it, you don't need the actual vet.

For the scratched woodwork, mayonnaise, cover the scratches and let it sit over night. Wood color doesn't matter, Next morning wipe off remaining mayo. You'll be amazed at how well it works. Obviously, this is for after kitty goes home.
Thanks! They are planning to put in some paneling so the walls are okay, but the carpet isn’t great. He’s a pretty chill cat so I think we will be okay, maybe will just try one or two and see how it goes.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have considered that for my cat that never chews her claws but I would forget to trim her claws. They grow fast. I remember by feeling her claws dig in when kneading

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal experience is they didn't work for me. I just keep my cats nails trimmed. While my cat did wear them they were soft, problem was putting them on and keeping them on.

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's only for 1 or 2 months take her to a groomer, PetSmart/Petco or even the vet and have them trim those suckers. Maybe twice like 3-4 weeks apart. In the end though cats are gonna cat and scratch stuff. Eventually you either need to get them an approved place to scratch and reward them when they do. Put treats all around it rub catnip on it etc. And you may also need to bite the bullet to learn how to trim the nails yourself. It is daunting but even if you can get one while they are half asleep and then stuff four treats in their face they'll start to get the picture that if you touch/play with their paws/claws and trim a couple nails that they get treats and they'll get less pissed off about it over time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want someone to put the caps on, the vet. It will cost less than the professional groomers and if there is a problem help is right there. I would be very hesitant to use the grooming services at the big box Petco or other unless you see the groomer's license and know that that person not another will be working on your pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's only for 1 or 2 months take her to a groomer, PetSmart/Petco or even the vet and have them trim those suckers. Maybe twice like 3-4 weeks apart. In the end though cats are gonna cat and scratch stuff. Eventually you either need to get them an approved place to scratch and reward them when they do. Put treats all around it rub catnip on it etc. And you may also need to bite the bullet to learn how to trim the nails yourself. It is daunting but even if you can get one while they are half asleep and then stuff four treats in their face they'll start to get the picture that if you touch/play with their paws/claws and trim a couple nails that they get treats and they'll get less pissed off about it over time.
He does get his nails trimmed, the thing is, when he is with me he doesn’t do this - I have ample cat trees for him but I also don’t ever deny him access anywhere. It seems to be that he’s just frustrated when a door is closed and that’s how he chooses to react.

I did get some soft claws so we will see how they go, if they don’t work they don’t work.