Clavamox loss of appetite

shani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wednesday of last week, we noticed our cat, Bella showing signs of a UTI. After taking her to the vet, it was confirmed and the vet put her on Clavamox. Since then she has not eaten. I called my vet and he said to stop the meds. I know that a side effect of Clavamox is loss of appetite, but how long does that side effect last?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she STILL not eating?  When did you stop the Clavamox...Thursday, Friday?  If she is still not eating, then you need to force feed her to get some food in her.  it's possible, I guess, that she's still nauseated, although the Clavamox should be thru her system by now if you stopped it, say, on Friday.   Did they prescribe any other antibiotic for her, because if she still has the UTI, she will still need something for that, I would think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she STILL not eating?  When did you stop the Clavamox...Thursday, Friday?  If she is still not eating, then you need to force feed her to get some food in her.  it's possible, I guess, that she's still nauseated, although the Clavamox should be thru her system by now if you stopped it, say, on Friday.   Did they prescribe any other antibiotic for her, because if she still has the UTI, she will still need something for that, I would think.
Friday morning was her last dose. She's starting to show interest in food and acting normal, but still not eating. I was fearing having to force feed her, but I think you're right

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they give her a different antibiotic?  Clavamox makes one of my kitties throw up. :/

Amser5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats on clavamox right now and kinda having the same issue. It’s only been about 4 days (he was under anesthesia for teeth cleaning) and he will eat some of his wet food but really that’s it. What did u end up doing to solve this?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cats on clavamox right now and kinda having the same issue. It’s only been about 4 days (he was under anesthesia for teeth cleaning) and he will eat some of his wet food but really that’s it. What did u end up doing to solve this?
Whenever my cats have dentals and cant's abide their antibiotics, my Vet simply has me stop the antibiotics. You might check with your Vet about the best course of action.

Amser5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Amser5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops sorry didn’t mean to repost that. i was gonna say that i didn’t give him Clavamox this morning and he’s already eating more so that’s good! I still need to call the vet to double check but that must’ve been the culprit