Clams?

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was buying Xena's chicken giblets and hearts and noticed the grocer offers similar sized chunks of "previously frozen clam meat". What do you guys know about the risks and benefits of raw clam for cats?

I did a bit of reading and it sounds like they contain thiaminase, so I will probably not feed regularly (if I decide to at all). They do seem to have lots of B-vitamins and taurine.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most people will say that clams are not a natural source of food for a cat, even a raw fed one. You won't see any cat, wild or domesticated, cracking open clam shells to get to the meat ;)

There used to be a company that sold a raw cat food kit with clams as the main ingredient. The FDA found salmonella in the product. I'm not sure if that is what led to the company to close. Clams are filter feeders so they take in a lot of stuff that may still linger in the meat. Cooking would kill any bad stuff but I'd be wary of raw clams. I know people eat raw clams and oysters and few have any ill effects from doing so but the source of the clams is important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right, I mean most of the meats we are feeding aren't truly part of the natural diet but I get your point. I can also see how pathogens/contamination could be more of an issue with clams than other raw meats. Seemed like an easy way to add variety and interest, but not worth it I suppose.