Cigarette smoke sensitivity?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else have issues with this?

It's the only thing I hate about the holidays, especially the colder ones. My dad and his wife (+ all of her kids) smoke. They smoke around us, only occasionally showing consideration for if it is blowing in our faces. Even if they don't smoke the whole house is permeated with it - the walls and ceiling have that yellow tint. DH has asthma, though he handles the smoke better than I do.
I grew up in a home with two smoking parents and was around it for 14 years of my life. It did cause some damage to my sinuses and lungs in that time. Since then I've avoided it at all cost.

I've read that others who had a lot of exposure to it when younger or who are past smokers also have problems with it later.

Within 30 minutes of showing up to visit I had a bad headache and was nauseous - they don't know that's why I didn't eat and left early. I was sick all day today and I'm still fighting off a bad headache.

How does everyone else deal with this? - specifically if it's family and/or friends that you're obligated to visit. They even insist in smoking around the young babies so I doubt they'd be concerned about my health.
I can't have them come here instead because young children = noise and kids after my pets, and they all still reek and carry enough smoke + chemicals on their clothing to make us sick.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I was a smoker I was very sensitive. When I moved to college I went through what you described. The doctor then thought I was a smoker that just quit. He said I was going through w/d from 2nd hand smoke. My whole family smokes outside and has been for years now. They have their own corner away from the non-smokers. This started when non-smokers stopped visiting during the holidays because of the smoke.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I smoked for many years and during that time it never bothered me. However withing a year of quitting if I was around cigarette smoke for to long my eyes would start to water and my nose would stuff up. Now I know as soon as i come into contact with anyone who smokes.
A friend of mine gave me several sweaters just recently that belonged to her sister. Her sister was a smoker and I had to wash the sweaters at least 3 times to get the smoke smell out of them..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've ruined that house. Smoking outside wouldn't help at all. I don't even know if new drywall + kilz paint would be enough, it would probably take replacing a lot of wood, too. It literally smells like an ashtray.

I am so thankful that the families that owned this home didn't smoke in it.

I don't think it's withdrawal. From what I understand it's similar to an allergic reaction. Your immune system recognizes it as bad news and your immune system can rev up setting you up for more allergic responses to other things. But the smoke itself isn't an allergen, it's an irritant.
Perfumes and scented stuff does the same thing to me... and that's definitely not a withdrawal.
Sometimes all it takes is a whiff of a strong perfume/chemical scent or smoke and I can get a headache from it. Being around someone with it on their clothes is enough, as well.
People that are used to it don't realize how badly they smell and affect others, though. So trying to explain to them that they're making you sick is difficult.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I no longer go to Thanksgiving as it is at a smoker's house - I cannot stand the smoke & like you become ill (headache, nausea, etc). I work retail, so being sick the day after thanksgiving isn't an option!
I also no longer go to Easter, as again, it is at their house where they smoke.

I have made it very clear I am no longer attending those holidays for that reason. They pretty much shrug it off & don't care - so obviously their smoking is more important than family for the holidays.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I no longer go to Thanksgiving as it is at a smoker's house
So that's why you spent it at home with pizza?
Did you ever notice if their food tasted smokey, too?
Makes me wonder if the special ingredient if cig ashes.

I'm at least lucky that I have my in-laws and DH's grandmother to spend it with. They do not smoke.

for anyone else that has family ruin the holidays with this.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, pizza has been a 2-year thanksgiving tradition for me. I guess, IMO, I much prefer being at home with the fur-kids than tip-toeing around my 3 ring circus family. They kinda a bunch of
some days.

Te me - it is just not enjoyable to go - so I'm no longer bothering to go. And yes, to me the food tastes smoky - everyone thinks I'm weird when I say that though.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This subject currently makes me so angry! Since my Mom passed my Dad is the only family I have left. He has now moved out of state and lives with his new girlfriend. No one in my house (growing up) had ever smoked so it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t until in college that I found out I was severely allergic to smoke. Like you, I get a severe headache & suffer nausea but I also start having my throat close up and I get a blister type rash from the smoke. Anyway, my Dadâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s girlfriend smokes around three packs a day! No, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not kidding and I have never seen anything like it. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve watched her and she seems to light another before the other goes out AND likes to have one going in two rooms so she can always have access to a lit one. NASTY!
(and dangerous as h*ll!) For some reason though this is my problem. I told my Dad that I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t come for Thanksgiving because of the smoke. I just canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t do it. So now for Christmas Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been told well there is no reason I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t stay at one of their non-smoking friends homes (some stranger to me) or a hotel and then just come over everyday, all day and night.
This is just so rude to me! There is no difference! Why donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t smokers realize that itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s them not us that is the issue. (At least in my experiences) Have some understanding of how gross you are and to please have some consideration for non-smokers! I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what to say anymore to some people. Why are WE the rude ones?
I'm not asking them to quit, just have some consideration for the non-smokers so we can all get along.
Just smoke outside and not in your homes.......please! It does make me so terribly sad that I may never get to spend another holiday with my Dad.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I think that it's peoples own business when and where they smoke in their own homes.

I don't agree with making everywhere "smoke free" and I do think that it is okay to have designated smoking areas in places like resteraunts.

But honnestly, I can't stand the thought of my home smelling like smoke when people walk in, therefore I refused to smoke inside my apartment/home/anywhere indoors. I have since quit smoking (for a long time now) and I have noticed that since quitting I have become more sensitive to the smells that it produces.

I can't believe how much I must have stunk to non smokers now... Growing up in a household where everyone smokes I guess I just never noticed it until now.

But still when people smoke in front of me I get massive cravings for one and it's very very very hard to refrain from smoking at my mothers house where cigarrettes are so readily available.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a former smoker, I was dealt with this when I went to visit my friend. Shes a smoker, inside (when I smoked it was only outside) and I had a chronic headache the whole time I was there. The other thing, my lungs HURT..... coughing....

She did her best in trying not to smoke as much, but it was already there in the house which was her house and I was the guest (my house was no smoking inside, ever).

My solution: I would go for long walks..... the window in my room was open and the door was shut.... (which made a huge difference, my room had had the door shut for a while prior to me getting there) we'd open other windows as well.

It helped some....meaning the first day, my headache was bad..... the rest of the time, it was lowgrade....

(for the record, I have a scent sensitivity as well...as in bad migraines with certain scents)

I've had to wash everything I brought, even stuff I didn't wear.

I guess my only suggestion is seeing if you can crack some windows next time to at least let some of out..... maybe it will help keep your headache and nausea to a dull annoyance vs a bad headache.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to avoid the rooms everyone was smoking in and when I was around a couple I was sitting in front of an opened door at one point. Later I went outside. It still wasn't enough.

The funny thing is that I can go to concerts and often it's less smoky then around them.

And yes, I agree it's their own home and their own business. But when I eventually tell them I can't take this anymore they'll not realize that it's also their own fault...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary and I quit smoking and our home is tinged yellow and everything we have stinks. We live in an RV, so we just keep washing the walls and ceiling, and we just have to keep washing stuff that's been in closets. Its horrible.

My guess is that if it bothers you, you're eventually going to have to stop going, like Nat.

...and yes, you're probably allergic. My dad used to smoke a pipe, and my mom developed asthma and allergies, and is now allergic to smoke.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie - I've heard that sugar soap is good for removing nicotine stains, but you have to be careful with it. Chances are Gary can't be around and certainly can't use anything strong enough to remove nicotine stains. Nasty stuff - can you imagine all of the years the two of you put that in your lungs!

I'm glad that those who have quit did, and hope you can all stay away from smoking.
I know it probably bothers her, but I bug my mom repeatedly to quit. It's already damaging her lungs. I don't want her on oxygen and in a nursing home in 10 years - I hope to never see another family member like this.
If she moves back to OK and wants me to visit she'll have to do something.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I smoked at the young age of 12 and continued and finally quit in 1990. Since then I cannot stand the smell of smoke and no one is allowed to smoke in my home or car. I stay away from homes where people smoke cuz like you I get very sick to my stomach and get a very bad headache. You can't stop people from smoking in their own home so I just don't visit them.

People say the worst complainers of smoking are the ones who have quit the habit, they are probably right. You never know just how bad your home and your body smells as a smoker but when you quit, you can smell just how bad it is. I also never knew how bad a woman looks as a smoker, I am just so glad I got rid of that dirty habit.

One of the worst things is that a smoker is putting others in jeopardy of second hand smoke and that is unfair. Possibly killing themselves is one thing but when you jeopardize others, well that's just not right. Ok I'll get off my soapbox but this is definitely a sensitive subject with me.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate cigarette smoke...If I am around it for long enough, I get a headache too but that isn't even my biggest problem. When I'm breathing in cigarette smoke, I have to force myself to breathe it, it's no longer instinctive breathing for some reason...It is sooo uncomfortable, it feels terrible

I just take occasional breaks to go outside and get some fresh air and try to sit as far away from smokers as possible...My uncle smokes inside and when we go over to their house I have to deal with it, but he's the only one in my family who smokes now. My parents both used to smoke but have quit.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I hate cigarette smoke...If I am around it for long enough, I get a headache too but that isn't even my biggest problem. When I'm breathing in cigarette smoke, I have to force myself to breathe it, it's no longer instinctive breathing for some reason...It is sooo uncomfortable, it feels terrible

I just take occasional breaks to go outside and get some fresh air and try to sit as far away from smokers as possible...My uncle smokes inside and when we go over to their house I have to deal with it, but he's the only one in my family who smokes now. My parents both used to smoke but have quit.
I kinda feel the same way..I start to feel sick when I am around smoke. My mom chain smokes so when I go visit her, I feel ill. It sucks! And then when I get home, my hair smells and my clothing..I have to put them in the laundry ASAP and take a shower.

I have never smoked..thankfully!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents and my sister all smoke heavily, and have my whole life. My parents' house REEKS of cigarette smoke. DH's father smokes heavily (he is the only one I could smell smoke on at Thanksgiving) so he grew up with it also. I don't smoke and neither does my husband, and we both avoid smoke as much as we can. I'm fairly affected by smoke and hate being around it. I'm not sure how it affects my husband.

I'm so glad people can't smoke in restaurants here anymore. We had to avoid one of our favorite restaurants for a while b/c even being in there for an hour we would have to come home and immediately wash our clothes b/c they smelled horribly of smoke. Even now after not being able to smoke in there for a while, the smell is still there and you leave stinking.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally agree that people can smoke in their homes if they want to. I mean it's their home so they can do what they want. I don't mind looking like the "bad guy" for being allergic to second hand smoke, but it's just going to be tough missing out on future holidays and visits with my Dad. That sucks.
I only have one Dad.

I just don't know how to get through to a die hard smoker.? When they smoke so much closing a door and opening a window doesn't help.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in medical school for Respiratory Therapy...so not only do I find it a repulsive habit, knowing the consequences of it and what it does to someone internally is just horrible to think about. My grandfather on my mom's side died of smoke related lung cancer....it was terrible to watch him suffer. It makes me sad to think what kind of health issues and serious conditions some of my sweet friends/family might suffer from as a result of their smoking.

I never try to be pushy or anything like that around my friends/family that do smoke. I understand quitting can be hard for people. I always encourage them to think about the benifits that come with quitting and when they're ready, joining a support group and picking up a good new habit to replace the old one (going for a walk, hard candy, etc). There are many great support groups out there. People usually quit and stay non-smokers if they have a good support network.

The smell of smoke alone equals an asthma attack for me. I can't handle it at all.

There's several people in my family & friends that smoke, I don't allow them to smoke near me. Usually it's not an issue because they're quite considerate and always smoke outside. However even when they smoke outside, what does make me sick is smelling it on their hair or clothing- even the smell of it sends me into an asthma attack. I'm very sensitive to smoke..to the point that I will avoid places where I know smoke might be. I'd rather avoid second hand smoke and stay away from places that I know it will occur, than be miserable and put my lungs and health at risk.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! This really hit home with me.

I was just back east, in the Catskill Mountains in NY, to take care of my Mom, who lived, until I just got her into a beautiful assisted living home, in a cottage on the grounds where my Aunt, her sister, lives with my cousin Lyn and her son, Dan.

Lyn smokes like a fiend. Aunt Lotty lost her sense of smell a few years ago.
Where they live, in the Catskills, is in the country. So, I didn't have ready access to the internet/TCS unless I went to the main house.

I couldn't stand it. I would walk in and all of my respiratory system would go into overload. The smoke smell was just overbearing. I couldn't post to TCS. I was awful!

My late Father had a laryngectomy when I was 11 because he smoked. He died 3 years later. I have never smoked and never will.

I really identify with your concerns.