Cicadas in the U.S. 2024

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to be a big year for "locusts" as cicadas are often called. I remember there was a big hatch back in Ohio in the early 1980s; they were so loud in Hudson you could hear them through closed car windows, quite loudly.

Thought this Tee shirt would match the mood a bit:

1716391245217.png

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The part of the country that gets these - so wild! The closest we get is some years we get a lot of miller moths. I don't know how I'd do with cicadas... 😬

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen them, just heard them back in the little wooded area behind our house. I have only seen dead ones (sad) Don't seem as loud as they were at first. When they first started, my neighbor said he could hear them over the noise of my lawnmower. I hadn't noticed until he pointed it out to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're even getting them in Northern California, which I didn't think would have cicadas.

They're fun bugs for the kitties, big enough to have fun with, and full of surprises, including "joy buzzer" sounds.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope nope nope. There was an invasion in the 1990’s and I was supposed to go to a bbq where it was. As I got close they were all over the car and I needed my wipers. I turned around and went home. In 2003 there was another invasion but not as bad where I lived. My son was 4 and I also had an Infant so I would sent him outside before me with a super soaker water gun and a tennis racket to clear the way to the car. I spent a week only going out if necessary. I made hubby take the boys outside when they wanted to play.