Churu made her sick

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time Louise had certain Churu flavors I noticed her poop smelled really horrible! But she loves them!
Yesterday she had a couple and last night had the smelliest diarrhea!(tracked it all through the house as I slept!) :help:
This morning she is starving!!!!!!
Should I let her go w/o food til noon or feed her dry or wet food?
She is very hungry right now and 'quacking' for food as is her usual way of placing her order for something to eat!
ETA: In reading internet reviews I see that Churu's can cause diarrhea if not given in very small amounts to some. No more Churus for Louise..
I gave her some kibble rather than canned wet food this morning. She keeps making trips to the kitchen to see if I put out her usual gravy canned variety,though. Not today!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
In my opinion, you need to feed her canned food this morning and throughout the day because the diarrhea has dehydrated her.
In the future, avoid the churu flavors that cause problems, and give her small amounts, so that she can still have something she enjoys.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There's no need to make her go without food just because she had diarrhea. In fact I'd advise against that strongly.

If she has an upset stomach because of the treats just don't feed her the treats anymore. It's important that she gets a proper diet and letting her go hungry is likely to exacerbate any problems caused by the treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I believe it is just the fish/chicken combo that has her in a tizzy because she won;t even eat any canned food with a hint of fish in it. But she seemed to love the taste while she was eating it. It will be a while before she has Churu again in ANY measure. I had fun this morning ..she tracked it all through the house while I peacefully slept..rugs, my bed and all!
Thanks tons, gals...back to doing laundry LOL!
She's MY Louise and I love her to bits!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well , because she has to have anesthesia Wed for a tooth procedure, I got something from the vet today that really surprised me!.
She would not eat her regular Purina Pro Essentials at all after last night, . The vet recommended Hills id for digestive issues which is a stew, plus a probiotic liver flavor powder to add in. She loves this combination, is eating well and seems better today. However, she is bugging me for Churus and Temptations and following at my heels looking for a treat.

When she was at the shelter they free fed the cats. Now she expects food to be there 24/7 and goes 'swaning' through the house to the kitchen even in total darkness looking for food. If it is not there on the mat, she sits in front of it straight as a statue waiting for dinner to be served. If it still doesn't appear she comes into my bedroom and jumps on my head for it! The hour of choice for this activity is 3 a.m.

How do I break an 8 year old cat of this and introduce a regular feeding schedule ? Is it do-able?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GranolaLouise GranolaLouise Anesthesia may cause some diahera for a few days afterwards. Did your vet not warn of this? So can the medication given after dental surgery.

Nobel had very liquid poos for 2-3 days post surgery. It was slightly formed after that while he took medication.

He also went on a hunger strike for dry food for two days before his follow up 🙄

It probably wasn't the Churu.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely was the Churu's. She was on wet food.
Thanks for the heads-up about the post anesthesia reactions!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There might be something useful for you in the article; in addition, maybe a special feeder or toy that dispenses a piece or two of kibble as it's rolled around and/or played with (there are different styles) which will both distract her for a period of time, and entertain her mind :)

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles
Would you believe they even put out wet food all day? I saw it in her crate all crusted over! I am trying to get her on wet food primarily because of the teeth issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food is fine to leave out all day. It does get dry but most cats are ok with that. The food is cooked directly in the sealed can.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food is fine to leave out all day. It does get dry but most cats are ok with that. The food is cooked directly in the sealed can.
It looks so bad! I would LOVE to know Louise's history and what is going on in that head of hers. She is so very picky and full of attitude! She just got through giving me the cold shoulder..why? Who knows!!! There she is sitting like a QUEEN in the center of MY bed and turning her head away every time I look at her and call her name. Then she gives me the 'side eye' over her shoulder.
But she is MY Louise and I love her to the moon and back diarrhea, attitude and all! :nurse: 😍

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just for the record, it could be the fish/chicken combination. One of my girls, if she even has anything with fish oil, the whole apartment will smell to high heaven and it will be a bit like diarrhea. Look for a treat that is either all chicken or all fish, depending on any sensitivities. My other cat can't have any poultry.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I found that out the hard way. ANYTHING with fish or shellfish she will get sick after eating it.
The Churu with chicken fish combination gave her diarrhea that smelled like I don't know what!!! I steer clear of all fish now.
The worse was Purina pro essentials wet seafood stew.
She is definitely a poultry gal, although I haven't given her any of the Purina Duck/Chicken.. I prefer to wait a while for that trial.
Thanks for posting.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I found that out the hard way. ANYTHING with fish or shellfish she will get sick after eating it.
The Churu with chicken fish combination gave her diarrhea that smelled like I don't know what!!! I steer clear of all fish now.
The worse was Purina pro essentials wet seafood stew.
She is definitely a poultry gal, although I haven't given her any of the Purina Duck/Chicken.. I prefer to wait a while for that trial.
Thanks for posting.
Watch for fish oil and fish meal hidden in foods. I had gotten a dry food and totally missed the fish oil (why I prefer to shop online - the label font size is getting smaller!) - let's just say the smell was the key.