Chronically constipated cat with neuro issues...help! regular enema use?

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My male cat that is about 5 has neurological issues that affect that back side of his body. He has always had some issues pooping (constipated) and peeing (gets uti's/loses control of ability to pee).

However, his constipation issues seem to be getting worse. He is on cisapride, and Hill's w/d multi benefit wet food, and Iams proactive urinary health dry food. We also give him a small amount of mirilax regularly. None of these things really seem to be helping anymore. When it gets bad, we use a feline Pet-Ema and that usually does the trick. Does anyone here regularly use enemas on their cats? There is part of me that thinks it would be easier for him if we just used one at the first sing of constipation, even if every few days...but i worry that that could make things worse?

Any advice or opinions would be very very appreciated!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I hate to respond with the 'good old' question but - what does your vet say? If your cat's issue is getting worse, it probably should be something to discuss with them first before making any changes to his 'treatment'. I can't imagine that routine enemas would be considered a good thing, but in your situation it might just be necessary. Maybe, the vet would have some alternative options for you to try?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never faced the enema question, but just wanted to add that using D Mannose might help prevent bladder infections. It is commonly used with dogs who have neurological issues such as you describe, and can be used with cats as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom suggestion brought something else to mind - about his bladder. I assume the vet taught you how to express his bladder, and how often? I would guess if it is not done often enough, urine retention can cause irritation and inflammation of the bladder lining, which for some cats can easily lead to an infection.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is so correct about expressing a bladder and I have done enough of it with dogs that I don't know why I did not think a little further on that subject. A bladder which leaks can lead to infections as well as it still may not empty completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!! This is all very helpful. I've actually come to the conclusion that my vet is just not the right fit for my cat. Unfortunately I had to take him to a 24 hour pet hospital last night because he was starting to act pretty lethargic, and turns out he has to stay until tomorrow and have the feces manually removed. The vet at the hospital thought his recent issues peeing might actually be related to the extreme constipation, but she too recommend that I should start expressing his bladder.

While this is a terrible situation for my kitty (and expensive), in a way im glad this happened because it confirms a suspicion I had that my vet didn't really know how to handle my cats situation properly.

I now have TONS of questions about how to best handle his megacolon, so I'm going to start a new thread specifically about what questions I should ask my new vet in terms of management to hopefully prevent this from happening again! If you have any recommendations I would so appreciate it!

Thank you!