Chronic Vomiting and Diet

libby1365

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Dr. Rachel! I have a 9-year-old cat who has started chronically vomiting over the last 6 months. We took her to the vet once we had exhausted all options on our end (changing to a higher quality kibble, introducing salmon oil for hairballs). Last month the vet put her on a hypoallergenic diet, and recommended Pepcid AC and Sulcrated liquid for her vomiting. There was a very slight improvement, but after a week of being on the diet, she was back to vomiting multiple times a day once again. The Pepcid AC and sulcrate are also making her vomit, so we have stopped giving her those. She has had blood work and a stool sample which came back with perfect results. The vet also examined her for any bumps on her belly and listened to her lungs etc, again all appeared normal. Today she was so sick, I took her back to the vet again and now she has been put on a GI special food, and a probiotic. It is once again a waiting game to see if this will work. Have you ever heard of this? What have been your experience? The vet has also said they don't suspect any cancer etc as she has not lost any weight (She is a big girl coming in a 7 killos). Is this just diet? Any help you could give us would be great. 

Thank you for your time!

Libby

dr rachel

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
What does she vomit?  Is there hair in it, is the food digested or undigested?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby1365

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is digested, sometimes there is hair in it. But mostly it is green liquid

dr rachel

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
I (unfortunately) deal with this scenario multiple times weekly.  Her age category makes simple food allergy less likely (especially since she has failed a few feeding trials).  Inflammatory bowel disease, a chronic stomach foreign body like a hair tie, low grade ailmentary lymphoma, and certain metabolic disease  can all cause the type of emesis you have described.   I have actually seen flea infestation cause vomiting without hair in it..  Those cats were licking excessively but had thick hair coats and no outward signs of skin allergy.  Once we treated them for fleas, the vomiting stopped.  I tell this story to illustrate that the symptom of vomiting can have many causes, and some of those causes may not be what you think.  I'm sorry to say, but I think you and your vet may need to reconsider your options and push harder to find the cause.