Chronic vaginitis

Punkyismybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so for the last month things have been weird for punky. It started with some digestive upsets and then she had a herpes flare up that shes thankfully recovered from but now here's this: Let me give some background info. So she pretty much has had vaginitis off and on since her first heat april 2022. I had her spayed in July 2022 and that seemed to totally cure it. Until october 28 it came back during the herpes flare up which makes me wonder if its virus related 🤔. I have researched it could be anything from bacterial, viral, parasitic, her anatomy, FLUTD or UTI, allergies, hormonal, and so on. I've never been poorer and sadly I can't afford any vet testing at the moment, especially during this time of year. I read that untreated vaginitis sometimes resolves on its own but it can also predispose to bigger problems down the road 😬😬😬. She is being her normal playful energetic hungry self and has the whole time shes had to deal with this. Her symptoms are swollen vulva and a pee smelling discharge that is sometimes clear, sometimes cream colored. She eats mostly wet food and I'm doing my best to give her plenty of fluids to flush out any bacteria. She doesn't like plain water so I give her diluted tuna water. Anybody know any lifestyle remedies to support her vaginal health and urinary health? Like probiotics? Diet tips? L Lysine? Urinary support supplements? ACV? Has anybody experienced this w their pet? I feel like a failing pet parent because I cant afford vet care 😓 I do everything within my power to support my babies and make them as healthy as possible and it feels like its always one thing into another into another!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This, to me, is way out there, but I am going to share it anyway.
Chronic vaginitis associated with vaginal foreign bodies in a cat - PubMed (nih.gov)
Aside from that...
Vaginitis in Cats - Cat-World
I also checked for prior threads on this site (in case you didn't already do that, but they are kind of all 'over the place').
Search Results for Query: vaginitis | TheCatSite

You might also search for additional information and aide from links in this TCS article.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Not trying to alarm you, but rather to 'arm' you. I am still hoping other members will come along with more information/insight/help.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Until (or unless) you can get her to a Vet, I wonder if applying plain yogurt to the area might help. I know it helps ME when I get vaginitis. And it's perfectly safe for a cat to ingest, so it just might help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This article explains quite a bit, technically speaking, about the properties of S.Boulardii. You could ask your cat's vet what they recommend for supplementing with S.Boulardii as well as L-lysine. You could also ask them about using marshmallow root and slippery elm bark teas, both internally and topically. I don't know what an online consultation with a holistic vet would cost but it might be worth asking. As a person raised to use traditional medicine, I separate feeding marshmallow root and slippery elm by 2-4 hours from oral supplements and medications because the mucosal-coating properties of those herbs (which are very soothing) can inhibit absorption of other oral therapies.
Capric acid secreted by Saccharomyces boulardii influences the susceptibility of Candida albicans to fluconazole and amphotericin B - Scientific Reports