chronic diarrhea

KatyG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it's been going on for 2 to 3 months now that my cat has "pudding" poop. All started after an antibiotic for UTI infection. After many xrays, ultrasound and echocardiogram with vet, she has an enlarged heart slightly. Vet doesn't want to treat the diarrhea as they're telling me it could cause harm to the heart. Vet suggests Hill's I/D food. Cat is not a fan to say the least. I've been cutting up chicken breast with water (chicken baked, nothing added) and giving to cat and she does like. She has dropped in weight. I'm concerned over dehydration. Any tips from anyone welcomed.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Antibiotic induced diarrhea is normally helped by using probiotics. I would get some S. Boulardi and give that to her. Try 1/2 capsule opened up and added to some wet food twice a day (so one capsule daily in total). That should clear it up pretty quickly.

The weight loss is concerning. Is that because she isn't eating the new food? Did the Vet suggest that food mainly because if the diarrhea? If so,then I don't see any reason why she cannot continue eating her old food, since from what you said it's not the food that caused the problem in the first place. Baked chicken is not 100% nutritionally complete for her, but is fine for a few days.

Let us know how she does on the S. Boulardi.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatyG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how long before one may see any improvement with cat's GI issue when using S. boullardi? I started this about 3 days ago, 1/2 cap in morning food, other 1/2 in evening wet food. thanks for any suggestions.

pamelaj76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am curious if you tried the s. boullardi? I have a cat with chronic diarrhea and it seemed to make it worse so I stopped. I'm thinking of trying it again but I don't know if it's a good idea or not. We are currently trying Adored Beast gut soothe.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am curious if you tried the s. boullardi? I have a cat with chronic diarrhea and it seemed to make it worse so I stopped. I'm thinking of trying it again but I don't know if it's a good idea or not. We are currently trying Adored Beast gut soothe.
We have tried Gut Soothe and, at the prescribed dose, it causes my kitty to have diarrhea. We have gone to homemade slippery elm bark syrup and it's really helped firm up his poops.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
it's been going on for 2 to 3 months now that my cat has "pudding" poop. All started after an antibiotic for UTI infection. After many xrays, ultrasound and echocardiogram with vet, she has an enlarged heart slightly. Vet doesn't want to treat the diarrhea as they're telling me it could cause harm to the heart. Vet suggests Hill's I/D food. Cat is not a fan to say the least. I've been cutting up chicken breast with water (chicken baked, nothing added) and giving to cat and she does like. She has dropped in weight. I'm concerned over dehydration. Any tips from anyone welcomed.
My boy had chronic diarreeafor 2 months early last year. His diarrhea was resolved after I followed instructions from this website about giving S Boulardii probiotics to cats with diarrhea. Here's the link :- My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do? and I just replied to another thread here Probiotic Questions if you want to give it a read.