Chronic Diarrhea Without Other Symptoms

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your vet to prescribe that for all your cats if you sign some sort of release form? I find it surprising as this is common knowledge that you need to treat all cats for t.foetus especially if they are kittens. He’s not being cooperative I’d say.
Any chance you can buy this drug cheaper overseas? I can help you look for it in the early evening of you give me the exact name.
Also, I found it surprising that he gave a go ahead for his neuter procedure given the discovery. T. Foetus is nasty and personally I wouldn’t weaken my cat any more. I would actually delay the neutering and start with the t.foetus treatment. Plus I think it’s easier to find a financial aid for neutering if needed?

Good luck in all of this, I’m sending lots of good energy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet is prescribing liquid Ronidazole which is compounded and then syringed each day for 14 days. I agree and I want this infection out of my house and away from my babies! I’m sick of the diarrhea also :)

Can you ask your vet to prescribe that for all your cats if you sign some sort of release form? I find it surprising as this is common knowledge that you need to treat all cats for t.foetus especially if they are kittens. He’s not being cooperative I’d say.
Any chance you can buy this drug cheaper overseas? I can help you look for it in the early evening of you give me the exact name.
Also, I found it surprising that he gave a go ahead for his neuter procedure given the discovery. T. Foetus is nasty and personally I wouldn’t weaken my cat any more. I would actually delay the neutering and start with the t.foetus treatment. Plus I think it’s easier to find a financial aid for neutering if needed?

Good luck in all of this, I’m sending lots of good energy.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
gosh. What does the vet say about waiting?

Is there anything here that might help at all?

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Most of those financial assistance prorgrams just don’t apply to this situation or there is a wait list and I honestly don’t know how long we can safely wait without complications. Richard could have had this for 5 months or more at this point and we have a 14 week old kitten being exposed. It’s a sticky situation and I’m just uncertain how to proceed!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Richards test came back today POSITIVE for Tritrichomonas foetus and so the vet is prescribing Ronidazole but it has to be compounded by an outside pharmacy. The main issue is cost. With 4 cats at home the cost will be very high to treat because others have loose stool occasionally too. The other issue is my vet had not seen these other cats so won’t prescribe any treatment for anyone else until they are “established” and so the medication costs about $90 per cat (almost $400 total) and add another $100 to get the other cats established. I’m not sure what to do because Richard still has to be neutered this weekend which is an additional huge cost. And we have spent about $1000 total on all his issues thus far so I’m ecstatic that we have a diagnosis but I’m unsure if I can afford to treat it right away. What do I do?
Ouch on that price.
My credibility if any will go down the toilet for this but if I were in your shoes I would treat Richard now, since he's having such a bad time, and wait on the others. If they are only having this issue on occasion, I would watch it but wait to do a fecal until the funds were there to do it unless an emergency came up.
Furthering the risk at sounding like a jerk, I am actually glad there's a reason for this madness and it can be treated, even if it's expensive.
It's irritating to be in this position and have everything check out perfect only to be left with no answers and no options, so at least there's that :wave3:

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ouch on that price.
My credibility if any will go down the toilet for this but if I were in your shoes I would treat Richard now, since he's having such a bad time, and wait on the others. If they are only having this issue on occasion, I would watch it but wait to do a fecal until the funds were there to do it unless an emergency came up.
Furthering the risk at sounding like a jerk, I am actually glad there's a reason for this madness and it can be treated, even if it's expensive.
It's irritating to be in this position and have everything check out perfect only to be left with no answers and no options, so at least there's that :wave3:
Oh yes I hope my posts did not sound like I was ungrateful because I am beyond happy!! An actual diagnosis is sometimes the best thing that can happen in these situations. Richard is perfectly healthy with no other clinical signs of distress. He is currently chasing his brothers around the house as I type this. Fur is soft as silk and his appetite is perfectly normal. He purrs like crazy and craves attention. After further research and careful thought and consideration, my girlfriend and I have decided not to treat it at all. The majority of veterinary journals state that this type of infection can resolve itself over time and all diarrhea can go away with therapeutic methods like probiotics and high quality diet. Unfortunately the only effective treatment is Ronidazole and this is only 68% effective. It is also toxic and not an approved therapy for cats so it can have harmful side effects. The cost and effectiveness is certainly concerning for something considered clinically mild and no negative outlook even without treatment at all. Since we have 4 cats and Richard has likely been carrying this infection for at least 5 months while sharing litter boxes, the only effective way to get rid of this completely would be to treat all 4 cats. The likelihood of successful treatment on all 4 cats at a 68% success rate is actually not favorable at all. So treatment would then have to be repeated. Further increasing chances of toxicity poisoning especially since one of the kittens is 14 weeks old and 6.3 pounds. We may again consider treating this issue in the future of other clinical signs are present but the majority of our cats have firm stool and good litter box usage.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is prescribing liquid Ronidazole which is compounded and then syringed each day for 14 days. I agree and I want this infection out of my house and away from my babies! I’m sick of the diarrhea also :)
OK so I contacted my European friend who deals with T.foetus on a- unfortunately - frequent basis and she says that it is very common to use Ronidazole products for birds. It is exactly the same drug but possibly in bigger strength. It's less convenient as they come in either pills or powder form and they need to be portioned by someone experienced. They can be bought for less than 30$ on bird sites or on e-bay.
If I were you I would explore this option with your vet if he's willing to. If he's not, I think I would find a vet with the experience treating T.foetus who would want to do this as cheap as possible (as evidently there is such option).
What I've said refers to Europe so I hope someone with experience in US will share some insight - maybe posiepurrs posiepurrs will?

Edited to say that I responded before seeing your latest post :)

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I hope my posts did not sound like I was ungrateful because I am beyond happy!! An actual diagnosis is sometimes the best thing that can happen in these situations. Richard is perfectly healthy with no other clinical signs of distress. He is currently chasing his brothers around the house as I type this. Fur is soft as silk and his appetite is perfectly normal. He purrs like crazy and craves attention. After further research and careful thought and consideration, my girlfriend and I have decided not to treat it at all. The majority of veterinary journals state that this type of infection can resolve itself over time and all diarrhea can go away with therapeutic methods like probiotics and high quality diet. Unfortunately the only effective treatment is Ronidazole and this is only 68% effective. It is also toxic and not an approved therapy for cats so it can have harmful side effects. The cost and effectiveness is certainly concerning for something considered clinically mild and no negative outlook even without treatment at all. Since we have 4 cats and Richard has likely been carrying this infection for at least 5 months while sharing litter boxes, the only effective way to get rid of this completely would be to treat all 4 cats. The likelihood of successful treatment on all 4 cats at a 68% success rate is actually not favorable at all. So treatment would then have to be repeated. Further increasing chances of toxicity poisoning especially since one of the kittens is 14 weeks old and 6.3 pounds. We may again consider treating this issue in the future of other clinical signs are present but the majority of our cats have firm stool and good litter box usage.
I know you'll keep an eye on this and I do respect your decision, if the infection can resolve, that's great!
I'm not up to code on what medicines are bad for cats but that 68% effectiveness would make me wonder? I've never heard of that medication so I'm no help. So here's a funny smiley guy that makes me laugh :popworm:
For serious stuff, yep, keep an eye on him. It might sound over the top but keeping a poop journal for him, and weighing him weekly to make sure he isn't losing weight might be something that would help you keep an idea on his over all health. I certainly hope this resolves, but if it doesn't, you'll have a really good past reference.
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: He sounds like a fun, and funny little stinker. They're the best ones, aren't they? :D

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you need a probiotic recommendation, I’m currently using the below and it’s seems really great and has excellent reviews when it comes to managing diarrhea:

Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you need a probiotic recommendation, I’m currently using the below and it’s seems really great and has excellent reviews when it comes to managing diarrhea:

Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats...
Good thinking!
Members here recommended TummyWorks but our cat has a flip-flop issue, one day he's got diarrhea, the next day he's more backed up than a garbage disposal stuffed full, with no food change, rhyme or reason.
Feline colostrum might be a good idea to look into, as well.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While in theory this sounds good, it would just prolong the problem, unless you separate each cat so they only have access to their own litterbox and no one elses. No sharing of boxes or mutual grooming. While the first cat MAY be cleared by treating, if he is allowed to mingle he would be reinfected. As for using bird rondiazole, unless the vet figures the dose I would not suggest it. This is a potentially dangerous drug, although much safer now that they have figured out correct doses. This is not a problem that the owners can medicate by themselves. Most cats outgrow the symptoms - but are STILL infected. They do not spontaneously cure themselves, the body just figures out a way to deal with it. In times of stress or illness the loose stools can come back.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While in theory this sounds good, it would just prolong the problem, unless you separate each cat so they only have access to their own litterbox and no one elses. No sharing of boxes or mutual grooming. While the first cat MAY be cleared by treating, if he is allowed to mingle he would be reinfected. As for using bird rondiazole, unless the vet figures the dose I would not suggest it. This is a potentially dangerous drug, although much safer now that they have figured out correct doses. This is not a problem that the owners can medicate by themselves. Most cats outgrow the symptoms - but are STILL infected. They do not spontaneously cure themselves, the body just figures out a way to deal with it. In times of stress or illness the loose stools can come back.
Yeah I think the dealbreaker got me was when the vet refused to prescribe this treatment for all 4 cats and suggested to just give the treatment to Richard who is symptomatic. Since TF can be carried even if a cat doesn’t have symptoms, this didn’t make sense to me. Also this is the same vet who just prescribed doxycycline for all 4 of my cats after Richard tested positive for Chlamydophila 2 months ago. The only reason I can think of for the differing approach is that TF is not as severe or urgent to treat and there is not a single drug on the market that is very effective in treating the issue. The only drug that has worked to any degree has lots of risk associated in causing other health issues. This tells me the vet is aware of the risks and does not want to increase the chances of something happening by medicating all 4 cats. $450 for a 68% chance at treating the issue on the first try (more money to treat a second time) and a chance at poisoning one of my babies seems like more risk than reward at this point.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Richard2121 Richard2121 We adopted a cat from the pet store. He had no symptoms other than the diarrhea. I put him on a limited ingredient diet and it totally took care of his problem. I used Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dried food to begin with. Since then, I had added the wet food. He gets his morning meal of dry and his afternoon meal of 1/2 cat of the wet. I read that you are trying to feed all your cats the same food. Can you feed all the cats at the same time and not leave any cat food out after they eat. You could put Richard in a cat cage with his bowl, or even in another room until he is finished eating. I did this many years ago when I had one cat who had to eat special food with a kidney issue. It was just a way of life for us and it worked to separate them and feed two different foods.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Richard2121 Richard2121 We adopted a cat from the pet store. He had no symptoms other than the diarrhea. I put him on a limited ingredient diet and it totally took care of his problem. I used Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dried food to begin with. Since then, I had added the wet food. He gets his morning meal of dry and his afternoon meal of 1/2 cat of the wet. I read that you are trying to feed all your cats the same food. Can you feed all the cats at the same time and not leave any cat food out after they eat. You could put Richard in a cat cage with his bowl, or even in another room until he is finished eating. I did this many years ago when I had one cat who had to eat special food with a kidney issue. It was just a way of life for us and it worked to separate them and feed two different foods.
Unfortunately Richard is the problem :flail:

He gets skeptical when I start feeding the other cats different foods. He is SUPER picky too so its him who is causing me to look into their diets as much as I do. I finally have them on a good food rotation of Tiny Tiger, Dave's Cat Food, Fancy Feast Classic Pate, Blue Buffalo Indoor Freedom Flaked, and I mix in Weruva and Tiki cat as a bedtime snack!

This has been their routine for about a week now and they are enjoying it and eating their food without walking away. So I am a happy cat dad!

Richard is my avatar photo actually, he is Bengal/Siamese Mix. All Bengal on the outside and a good mix of personalities on the inside. Super intelligent and observant. He knows how to open cabinet doors, luckily this is not entertaining enough for his liking....so he does not do it often!

He is what I like to call too smart for his own good! He thinks he knows best and has a very persistent personality. The other thing is Otis, his brother is an orange tabby with an orange personality! He is also very smart so the two of them learn from each other all the time. It is almost like is Einstein had a twin brother...imagine the chaos!

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Richard BABY!!!
Got him for free from a breeder who had a "woops" litter when her Siamese got out of its room before she was spayed and got pregnant from the most BEAUTIFUL snow bengal. I have met the parents, the most friendly and loving two cats ever :)

But lesson learned that sometimes these designer cats come with more issues and have some infections from living in close quarters with numerous other animals. Our "free" kitty has turned into quite the investment of cash!

We adore him though and he is my loyal little companion. I try not to play favorites!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got him for free from a breeder who had a "woops" litter when her Siamese got out of its room before she was spayed and got pregnant from the most BEAUTIFUL snow bengal. I have met the parents, the most friendly and loving two cats ever :)

But lesson learned that sometimes these designer cats come with more issues and have some infections from living in close quarters with numerous other animals. Our "free" kitty has turned into quite the investment of cash!

We adore him though and he is my loyal little companion. I try not to play favorites!
You know, when my rescues had soo many health problems (some of them turned out to be chronic) I was having similar but opposite (lol) thought- that if I decided to buy an expensive kitten from the breeder, it would cost me much less than my free cats :D Luckily I was mostly treating them in Europe when some diagnostics cost so much less. And I knew what I got myself into, I deliberately adopted a kitten with some issues.

T.foetus is not exclusive to bred cats. My friend deals with it in shelters.

I was about to suggest you contacting your breeder re T.foetus, as I cannot imagine he continues breeding infected cats. My friend has closed her cattery because of this unfortunately (and refunded half price for infected kittens which were already sold or paid for treatment, whichever was chosen - usually the refund as treatment - apart from PCR - is not that expensive in Europe).

It's super great that handsome Richard is doing so great, but in your position I would still consider all the options possible. Yes, ronidazole is nasty. So is tritrichomonas foetus. I've seen kittens in horrible conditions because they had it for so long. Constant diarrhea may be a nightmare, you probably can imagine if you ever had it yourself. Imagine having it for two years... All the "dazoles" are nasty and yet I've read some vets prescribe metronidazole like it was candy (without any kind of the tests). My cat had a neurological side effect after metronidazole that scared the hell out of me. Yes, ronidazole seems to be the worst, although the side effects with proper dosing are not that common - they may or may not appear, and the cats must be observed with great attention when given the first dose.
All parasites without treatment eventually may "go to sleep mode" - it doesn't mean that the underlying problem doesn't exist anymore, and it will probably come back whenever there are other health issues.
If I were you, I would talk to another vet with experience with T.foetus. I understand the cost is the issue, but there are cheaper ways (other dazoles, ronidazoles marketed for birds - I know it sounds weird and not safe but it is common in so many developed countries). I would at least try and if the treatment doesn't work, then I would turn my energy into managing the diarrhea. I actually remember my psychological cost that my cats diarrhea had on me. I lived around their pooping schedule. i wouldn't leave my house for longer out of fear of poopfoots. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. So if there was 68% chance that it may finish and it will result in improving my cats health, I would take it. Risk is manageable.

Do I remember correctly that your vet saw something in Richard fecal analysis but didn't know what that was? I went through this thread and I don't see you mentioning it so I don't know... If that was indeed the case, I cannot stop thinking that if they were more educated in tritrichomas foetus (which is not so uncommon these days among cats), you wouldn't have to spend money on PCR. I realize I may be disrespectful, but frankly I have no mercy for American vets who charge what they charge and are still not effective.

Anyway, whatever you eventually choose to do, good luck for you, Richard, Otis and other kittens, and your girlfriend!!