Chronic diarrhea from a senior gal

sda0918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey cat people.

I have a 9 year old domestic shorthair named Magoo who's had chronic diarrhea for the past year or so. She goes in little amounts all throughout the day and not always in the same spots, so it's a constant game of retracing her steps and making sure I've cleaned everything that's come out of her. Complicating this is her less than stellar eyesight; as you can tell by her name, when we found her as a kitten, we noticed that she was blind in one eye and the moniker Magoo (initially based on Mr. Magoo until we realized she was a girl, then morphing into Ms. Magoo) stuck.

Additionally, she's an outdoor cat, so she can usually make it to the yard when it's sunny/warm, but when the weather isn't great or if it gets too dark for her, she ends up using the bathroom on our porch. While it can be frustrating to deal with, I try my best to be patient because I know it's borne out of something she can't control. There are instances where she'll yowl in pain if a stool she's about to pass is particularly painful (and usually water-y). There are also times when she'll be halfway (or even fully) asleep and she'll defecate without knowing. Of all the issues that've come from her GI troubles, these are the two things that I'm most hoping she won't have to experience again if I can figure out how to help her.

Ever since she started having issues, I've thrown many different things at her in hopes of improving the quality of her stool while lessening the amount of times she has to go. The first month of Tomlyn Pre & Probiotic improved things a lot, but it didn't go all the way I needed it to and subsequent attempts at giving it to her have had little to no effect. It was similar results with Glandex and pumpkin, which I gave her in separate periods; they make her poop more solid but give it no shape and only make her go more often. She's just come off of Pro-Pectalin (minor improvement), while I've recently been trying to improve her B12 levels with Cobalequin supplements. I started her on Omega 3s because I read they help inflamed intestines, but I got worried they would cause her diarrhea to get worse and stopped after 2-3 days. She's also had PET Pectillin (she hated it, giving it to her was an issue and it didn't move the needle much) and NutriVet Anti-Diarrhea, among other things I've tried that haven't been the magic bullet.

She primarily eats dry (Meow Mix) and wet (Special Kitty) cat food with occasional treats (macaroni and cheese, lunch meat, fried chicken, etc.). We also have pet chickens and she loves scrambled eggs, as well. She likes to hang on the bench by our back door waiting for us to bring her out something to eat; it's just that she's not absorbing enough of the nutrients from what she's eating.

I can't help but feel discouraged that this is still going on. I just want my girl to have a better quality of life and for the remainder of her time with me to be happy and enjoyable. I have a few things on my list that I haven't tried (Proviable Multi-Strain Probiotic, Jarrow s boulardii, Petwellbeing BM tone up drops, lithothamnium, rice water, etc.) but don't know what direction to go. I read that s boulardii doesn't work if your B12 levels are too low, so I've been trying to give her the Cobalequin long enough that I could eventually add the s boulardii and give it a better chance of being effective.

Frankly, though, I'm open to any suggestions about what I should do. Taking her to the vet isn't an option right now due to finances, but I have the means to order medicine online and will happily try anything that comes highly recommended.

Thank you to anybody who read to the end and an especial thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
It's hard to tell since it's been about a year, but have you heard or read anything about either food brands changing formulas around the time she started having problems? Do you have any other cats hanging around that have had any issues? Did you introduce any of the new leftovers during the time period she's experienced this? How much mac and cheese, lunchmeat, and fried chicken does she get, and are there spices in any of those foods?
Two of my cats (both 14.5) can't tolerate dry food at all, no matter the brand. The last few times I tried to give them dry food, they ate it just fine but then spent the next 24 hours or so walking around and straining. (When I first got them, they ate dry food exclusively for a year or two.) If she likes the wet food, could you feed her that exclusively with the probiotics and see if she feels better? (I'm sorry if this feels like 20 questions!)
Also, I love how she got her name! That's very creative and incredibly cute. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I personally would stop with all human food of the type that you've described. There's too much sodium and overall I think it's causing her digestive system to have to work too hard. I realize you're probably trying to get calories in, but try eliminating these things for a couple weeks and see.

I'd suggest other treats made for cats, but I think that the only additional change might be to try giving her what veterinarians prescribe for unsettled systems which is boiled unseasoned chicken with possibly a little unseasoned white rice.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It definitely could be food related. Those human foods are not good for cats. Possibly the fried chicken might be ok in small portion IF yo take off the best part (the crispy skin). And take it off the bone, of course. I agree to not give her any human food other than plain poached boneless chicken and possibly rice cooked in the broth from that plain chicken. And definitely NO milk (even though you didn't mention she got that. Scrambled eggs are probably ok, but without any milk. Adult cats are typically not able to digest cow's milk, odd as it sounds.

Meow Mix is not a very good dry food, so it could also be causing her some issues. Is the Special Kitty a pate or a different version? If you could feed her pate, that usually has less additives that cause issues than stews, shreds, etc. I don't really know about Special Kitty, but know it's true of Fancy Feast and Friskies.

I'm not familiar with low B12 levels effecting S. Boulardi, and couldn't find anything about that, but am wondering how you know her B12 is low if you haven't been able to get her to the Vet? When was the last time she had a check-up for this diarrhea issue? I do know that low B12 CAN cause gut issues, and do know that S. Boulardi can also help with them, so giving them both can't hurt, IMHO. She also needs plenty of fluids, since diarrhea is dehydrating. I see no reason NOT to give her Omega 3's either. But you might want to give her one thing at a time just so you can figure out what, if anything, works.