Chronic Constipation, What Is Unsafe For Cats?

LorraineC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat suffers from constipation on a regular basis. We combat this by putting 5g (teaspoon) of Peg 3350 (restorlax, clearlax and such) in a half a can of Fancy feast, daily to every other day. This usually keeps her regular and soft. However sometimes there are days where she cannot pass and she is uncomfortable. I was thinking of making a oral liquid with SIMPLE SYRUP and Peg for these days as I feel adding it to food doesn't really help the situation much. So my question is, can cats take simple syrup? I'd be feeding probably 'up to' a tablespoon to her daily. Thanks guys!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a sugar solution would help the PEG work any better :dunno: Are you dissolving the PEG in some water for a minute before mixing it into the Fancy Feast? Have you tried canned pumpkin?

What does your vet recommend? There are medicines such as lactulose that can be given for constipation in pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LorraineC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think a sugar solution would help the PEG work any better :dunno: Are you dissolving the PEG in some water for a minute before mixing it into the Fancy Feast? Have you tried canned pumpkin?

What does your vet recommend? There are medicines such as lactulose that can be given for constipation in pets.

Hi, thank you for reply. We use lactulose sometimes on emergency basis, as it purely liquifies her BM.
We've also tried liquid docusate, but she froths at the mouth when taking that so I stay away.
I know the simple syrup wouldn't help. It would help me getting it into her. As it comes in powder form.
My question is whether cats are able to metabolize the simple syrup or if I should use I different base.
I don't want to give her more wet food at the moment because it will just snowball the problem.
She drinks plenty of water. Every time I go to the bathroom she's in there with me drinking from the tap. On top of the bowl of water we leave on the floor.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Simple syrup is just sugar and water, no problem for a cat. You can make it yourself. If you get it at the grocery store, make sure you read the bottle to see what else is in there. Good luck.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I would give a cat a small amount of sugar(ed) syrup is if the cat is experiencing a hypoglycemic emergency, and then I'd quickly follow it up with a bit of food.

I think it's best to consult your vet about your 'simple syrup' idea. I personally think giving sugar(ed) syrup to a cat on a regular basis isn't a great idea for the cat's health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LorraineC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so glad I got bot
The only time I would give a cat a small amount of sugar(ed) syrup is if the cat is experiencing a hypoglycemic emergency, and then I'd quickly follow it up with a bit of food.

I think it's best to consult your vet about your 'simple syrup' idea. I personally think giving sugar(ed) syrup to a cat on a regular basis isn't a great idea for the cat's health.
Thank you. I wouldn't give regularly, just when she's having a really hard time passing her BM. This only happens once in a while it's really odd. I feel so bad for her, and she struggles alot with an enema.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kit! :vibes: :vibes: :hugs:

Sometimes a cat can have an issue when given too much PEG 3350 (e.g. things like Miralax) on a regular basis. I personally have only heard of giving approx. 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of [Miralax] per day, not one teaspoon per day. Miralax has kind of a preventative use -- I think for more serious states, like impacted stools, using other things like docusate might work. You said you've tried that, and it does have a bitter taste but this web site suggests using the pill form:
Acute Treatment
(You've probably seen that web site before if you've been going through constipation with your cat for a while?)

Definitely something to go over with your vet first!

Too much Miralax can cause dehydration, which is difficult... as the best thing for helping w/ constipation is hydration, hydration, hydration, in my view! But this could be why your kitty is trying to drink so much (the use of a teaspoon per day of the PEG?) -- again, check with your vet as I am not a vet! I'm just going from my own 'cat history experience'.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with LTS3 LTS3 .

My guy had Megacolon; so I am familiar with constipation issues.

You should probably be giving the Miralax/Resorlax/PEG 3350, on a daily basis.

Try mixing 1/2 a teaspoon with water, twice a day, adding to you kitties food. It should take a couple of days to work.

PEG, etc are dosed to effect.. so you will have to watch how the dose works.

The Lactulose can also be given.. but I would check with your Vet. You can try a teaspoon or 2 daily, IF your cat is Constipated...

Please check with you Vet for further information. He knows your baby better than we do.

Also, add extra water to the wet food. This is very important when dealing with constipation issues..

Good Luck!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't want to give her more wet food at the moment because it will just snowball the problem.
She drinks plenty of water. Every time I go to the bathroom she's in there with me drinking from the tap. On top of the bowl of water we leave on the floor.
Wet food is exactly what she needs. It is not just about the water but also several ingredients. Dry food has more carbohydrates than wet food, which leads to more stuff being added to the poop.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree that any cat with constipation would most likely benefit from an all wet food diet. I struggle to get my white cat to eat wet. Constipation is something the vet and i watch her closely for. So far she has not, but it is always a concern with a mostly dry diet. Or some cats any dry.
Best of luck with your girl!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Agreed:agree: Sugar in any form should not be given to a cat unless the cat is diabetic and is currently experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood glucose).

Plain water is just fine to dissolve Miralax / PEG in before mixing it into canned food. You can try chicken broth or tuna juice as well. If you use store bought broth, make sure it does not contain any garlic or onion. If you use tuna juice, use only canned tuna in water. You might be able to puree canned food in a blender with water and use the "soup" to dissolve Miralax / PEG into.