Chronic Bronchopneumonia

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, maybe it's a bit rude to introduce myself with a long question, but I'm really worried and I would love to get some advice from your experiences.
Long story short, my 4 months old cat has been diagnosed with bronchopneumonia (radiologically) almost two months ago. The only symptom was open mouth breathing with exercise, during the worst days he would pant even for a short run. He never had a fever, cough, letargy or anything else, and during the couple visits he had before, nothing was found at auscultation. He took amoxicillin/clavulanic acid and then a course of azithromycin, and also flumax and aerosol therapy.
Last tuesday we took another X-ray, which the vet said was way better, blood test showed no anemia or high white cell count, and FELV and FIV were negative. We also did a echocardiogram and adbominal ecography, both negative.
So the vet said that he is healed. He is better, but he continues to pant! It happens when he's excited, not specifically related to effort: for example today he started to breath with his mouth open when I took away his toy (because he started to look tired) and continued for a while. And then again, chasing a fly round the house.
I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I've already asked a second vet, who pretty much told me the same, looking at his last X-ray. Is it possible that panting it's not a relevant symptom now, but was a symptom before?
Thank you :ohwell:
(the handsome boy in my profile picture it's Merlin, the cat who's driving me crazy with the panting problem :) )

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not rude at all, glad you are here! :welcomesign:

I dont know, but the panting sounds suspicious to me, not something a cat should do unless they have played to hard, or gotten too hot. Or they are sick.

Maybe the bronchopneumonia is cleared up, but he could still have some breathing problems related to it? Maybe his lungs need more time to heal?

I would try to keep him calm, not over playing or let him get hot. Its hard to keep a kitten calm sometimes, but i would not push him to play. Try not to let him get hot. And if it continues have them check him again, or if it gets worse, take him right back in.

He is a beautiful boy! Do keep us updated with how he is doing! We will worry right along with you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would think since you have had two different Vets tell you he's okay now, that it's true. On of my guys, when he was little, would play so hard he would pant, and still does, when he's scared, for instance, when he's in his carrier in the car. He really pants hard then, and it scares me! It's possible, I would think, that because your little one was so sick when he was younger, that he doesn't have much "lung power" and it doesn't take much for him to tire easily, but I would discuss this with your Vet and see what they say, if you haven't already. It may be that he just needs to build up to more activity without panting :dunno:

BTW, he's quite adorable :loveeyes:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since the x-rays show no signs of the pneumonia and the vet says he's okay, I'd go with that. When my Tumbles was a kitten, he often panted after a hard play session. I learned not to play as long or as hard with him. I broke up his play sessions into shorter sessions spread out so he wouldn't get to the point of panting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. You are probably right, but it's hard to understand how he really feels. I mean, last week he has never panted, and now he's doing that again. But since he has no other symptoms, it depends on how hard he's playing and it's difficult to assess the situation. :ruminating:
I'm trying to keep him calm, but it's totally impossible. If I try to stop him from playing too much, he gets so nervous he starts to pant.
Anyway, this week we're doing another round with the azithromycin. It was a possibility after the first course of treatment, and the vet this morning has said it's necessary. And now I'm even more confused!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you guys are going through this. Keep working with the vet, and hopefully he will be all well soon! Do they think the second round of antibiotics is needed because he is still testing positive? Im a bit confused too. Maybe call the vet and get them to give you more details. Sometimes its hard to take it all in while you are in the office with the cat.

Best of luck to the cute little guy, i hope he feels better very soon. I just want to hug him :itslove: