Chromebook Advice - Cyber Monday help

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to buy a chromebook for my sister for Christmas, but I know nothing about them, and there are so many offers and varying reviews my head is spinning.

What I would like to get it one that flips to become a tablet and has a touch screen. Can someone who has knowledge give me some advice on which brands / models are good? I would really appreciate it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because Chromebooks are already a lower end device, I'd stick with a name you know: HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, and ASUS are brands that I would trust. If the price looks too good (less than $100), it probably is too good. Cheap off-brand devices aren't worth the savings. I would expect these to be regularly priced in the $400 price range. So a good deal would be $200. I'd be suspicious of $100 Chromebooks as being older models and probably underpowered.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is doing a lot on the internet I would bypass the Chromebook altogether. There is no hard drive and you are very limited to what you can download. You can only put Google apps on there. You can't download from Microsoft or anything. That's why I wound up getting a regular laptop. The Chromebook is ok for emergencies like checking mail and all but that's basically all you can do. Speaking from 4 years experience with one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.

MoonstoneWolf, I was wondering what they were good for actually, and I think she would not like it (even though she said she wanted one).

I will look for something else.