Christmas with Cats.....?

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't put a Christmas tree up for 4 years because of my cat. My first two did ok, but I'm not convinced this new one will. He will probably eat it. I also now have a flocked tree. The one with snow. It's non toxic, but if they eat too much it can clog their intestines because it's saw dust. What are your thoughts? Is there a way I can have a tree? Or should I accept that there will be no decorations while there are cats in my house. I have considered buying a new tree that maybe would be better. Some say to spray them, but the sprays I have seen don't have good reviews. Any ideas are appreciated! Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are "alternative trees" that are just as festive as a real or fake typical holiday tree. See these threads for ideas:

Here's mine with a holiday gnome (cat toy) ornament and a string of lights:

1636899753490.png

There's a holiday decor thread from last year if you want to take a look through it for ideas on how others have safely decorated for the holidays: Let's see your Christmas decor 🎅

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I focus on a slightly different issue, the hooks, since I (apparently) had a cat eat a hook. By some miracle, he vomitted it up, and I found a hook cocooned in hair. So even if you get a safe tree, hook discipline is important (make sure that if an ornament falls you find the hook). They do sell carboard hooks, but I've never tried them.

Not sure how many cats actually have a hook problem, and assume its a very very small number. But you dont want it to be yours.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say just make sure that your tree is in a sturdy stand that can't fall over. Use screws to hold it to the floor and something to act as a guyline to tie it to a wall or other sturdy structure. If you do that, a cat can probably climb a Christmas tree all it wants without worrying about falling over.

If you use low voltage LED strings for your Christmas tree lights, there will be no danger from electricity. The kind I'm talking about has the small control box that plugs into the wall and converts house current to low voltage DC.

Then, make sure you use cat-safe ornaments and decorations. Avoid glass ornaments. Use loops of string instead of hooks.

If you think ahead and make a cat proof Christmas tree, I don't see why Kitty can't have Christmas, too! :)

Besides, who doesn't love a picture of a kitty in a Christmas tree? :santa:

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Ssscat, the motion activated spray of air, under the tree. It worked right away. I also keep a small branch, like you decorate a table with, and that is her greenery that she can rub against. I believe in the advice that a no is best followed by an alternative yes. For safety sake, I use a piece of twine around the center of the tree fastened to a hook on the wall.

swampmonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted an adult cat several months ago and I have no idea what he's going to be like around my numerous Christmas trees. My hope is that he sticks with his routine of eating and sleeping lol. Hopefully my basement reno will be finished soon so that I can house my cats in the basement, then gradually introduce new cat to one of trees with no decorations on it at first. If he passes this test then I'll move forward with putting on the ornaments and such (I anchor my ornaments to the tree by wrapping the hook wire around the branches and keep shatter proof at the bottom, glass up top). If for some reason he fails and tries to climb the tree then we'll try to train him out of it. Otherwise, I'll build a fence. In the 90s it was sort of popular to put miniature picket fences around the base of the tree, usually the same circumference of the tree at its widest point. I figure I can build one, or buy one, and fence him out. Absolute worst case scenario he lives downstairs for a few weeks which isn't terrible because it's a good size and comfortable.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
San Francisco knows how to put up a cat safe tree. 😹
IMG_0730.JPG

Kidding aside, between pine needles, lights, and ornaments, I wouldn't trust a cat around a tree. But if you're set on having one, I like where lollie lollie is going. Perhaps, instead of presenting one big irresistible "no", you could distract him with an acceptable and safe "yes." I would strip the bottom branches and replace them with something like this wire brush that gives him something he can interact with while also keeping him away from the more dangerous bits of the tree.
View media item 423021This will also frustrate his ability to climb the tree as these "branches" won't support him. Make certain you are hanging lights and ornaments out of his reach. This particular wire brush is available at pet supply stores like Petco/Petsmart. But you can also get a vent brush from Target to make your own cat-safe branches.
Casabella Wayclean Vent Brush

I also like the idea of bringing in the tree first undecorated to see what your cat will do with the tree before you start adding lights and ornaments.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I saw this idea online somewhere. :lol:

IMG_4214.JPG

I'm afraid I'm no help for practical ideas. We have rarely put up a tree over the years, so I don't know how our cats would react to one. Good luck! :)