Christmas tree that cats won't try to eat or climb.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, every year my husband and I have the same battle. He wants a tree, I'd rather not deal with the cats tearing it apart. I promised him that this year I would try to figure something out to make everyone happy. Does anyone have any ideas on how to have a cat proof tree? We are going to do a fake tree, but is there some special material that cats don't really care about? All the ones we've had in the past have been chewed or pounced on. Share your wisdoms please! :deer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about mini Christmas trees? We didn't dare have a proper tree after we got the boys (otherwise known as Double Trouble :devilcat2::devilcat2:), but the house felt really bare without a tree. I bought a load of mini trees, both decorated and un-decorated, lit them with micro fairy lights, added some mini decorations where needed, and dotted them around the house in places the cats couldn't reach. It worked really well, and mini trees just don't have the same kitty-appeal that regular ones do :winkcat: That, combined with lots of fairy lights, jars of lights, imitation tealight candles and various other ornaments, made for a very Christmassy feel without the danger of a big tree.

Last year, I found a cool Christmas tree decal, arranged it on black card, and stuck it on a mantelpiece for another cat proof tree idea. We also tried a real, living small tree on a tabletop, and the boys were pretty good about leaving that alone too. The advantage of it being live is that it was heavily weighted on the bottom and unlikely to fall over. 20181223_180315.jpg 20181223_180356.jpg 2017-12-22 17.00.23.jpg 2017-12-22 17.01.22.jpg 2017-12-22 17.01.49.jpg 2017-12-22 17.02.30.jpg 2017-12-22 17.01.06.jpg 20181223_180325.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put up a mini tree on my table in front of the window. It looks like a big one from outside. Other then batting a few ornaments around at times, the cats seem to ignore it, it's not big enough to interest them in climbing. You could also spray it with something lemon scented or with something cats don't like the smell of maybe a strong pine scent, etc. Or you could tell them and encourage them to play with their new 'cat toy' and you can be assured they will totally ignore it! LOL

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I may have to go with the small X-mas tree idea, but I think my hubby really wants a nice big tree... so I'm still open to any other brilliant suggestions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I felt bad for posting a 'funny' when I know you have a real problem, so maybe these posts/articles from previous TCS inquiries about Christmas trees might give you some ideas?!?!

17+ Ideas For Cat-safe Holiday Decoration (an Illustrated Guide)

Cats And Christmas Trees

Cats And Christmas - Tips For Cat Owners

This was also previously posted, but I think most members didn't seem to think it would really work.

Christmas Tree Defender

I know it is not a 'real' tree, but there are wall murals/decals of Christmas trees that can be placed on a wall. I also searched for projector images of Christmas trees, but didn't find much of anything.

And, Boris Diamond Boris Diamond posted this last year -

1572127939894.png

Last edited:

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I donated my 5ft tree and bought a 2ft tree instead. They leave it alone for the most part but I do miss having a big tree. Do you have another room to put a big tree in without letting the cats in?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wanted a Christmas Tree, but with cats and dogs around, not possible.
I imagine how my tree would look like after a major case of zoomies.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, every year my husband and I have the same battle. He wants a tree, I'd rather not deal with the cats tearing it apart. I promised him that this year I would try to figure something out to make everyone happy. Does anyone have any ideas on how to have a cat proof tree? We are going to do a fake tree, but is there some special material that cats don't really care about? All the ones we've had in the past have been chewed or pounced on. Share your wisdoms please! :deer:
I go through the same thing every year with my boy...Used to put one up..yep he would tear it down...n when he was a kitten..he actually climbed the tree...Last yr I didn't put one up...but THIS yr I would like TO...But im still on the fence about it...I last yr just put Christmas decorations up in side n outside...But im thinking like a :confused::dunno:umm I dont know YET...But we all have our kitty babies...So we all figure something out to make every one happy..Including the KITTIES...But I guess GONNA Google some IDEAS...I know I wont much help...Sorry just was letting u know Hey im wondering same thing Lol:agree::think: