Christmas stockings

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have always done stockings for Christmas. It is the (now adult) kids favorite part of the gift exchange. It is REALLY difficult to do mens stockings! Hubby doesn't play golf any longer so buying stuff for that is out. The boys hobbies are all way too expensive and most of the stuff wouldn't fit in a stocking. None are handymen so tools are out. Anyone have any inexpensive suggestions? I hate doing the socks, nail clippers, etc routine every year. Truthfully, they are a pain to buy the gift for too - they buy what they want, when they want it. If it wasn't for their significant others I wouldn't have a clue! They have the best girl friends!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The car emergency tool to break a window and cut a seatbelt is a good one (like this Lifehammer Brand Safety Hammer, the Original Emergency Escape and Rescue Tool with Seatbelt Cutter, Made in the Netherlands, Glow Orange ). Smaller and practical.

Playing cards.
Shot glasses.
Sensory toys.
Small puzzles (actual puzzles or brain teaser types).

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally we get packets of sweets or chocolates, socks, small makeup pieces such as single mascaras, and other similar small items like pocket mirrors, the small Yankee candles, etc.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fill my hubby’s and 2 boys (7and9 years) with beef jerky, Pringle’s, each one’s favorite nuts, a toothbrush and paste, a bar of their favorite candy. Kids get match box cars and colored pencils, hubby gets a shot bottle of his favorite liquor and lottery tickets. And of course at the foot of the stocking an orange. That dates back to my parents who grew up during the depression and citrus was scarce.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have our Christmas stockings hung on the stair railing. The cats each have their stocking, as does The Beast. We put cans of food in the cats' stocking, along with some catnip pillows (which we put in ziploc sandwich bags first), and a package of hairball treats. The Beast is on special food, but she does get Pedigree treats, so I put in a couple boxes of treats in her stocking.

For Dear Richard, I put in a box of chocolate-covered pretzels from our local candy shop in town. He dearly loves Little Debby Nutty Bars and so I grab a couple boxes of those and wrap them for him. They're too big for his stocking, but it's "understood" that they're a stocking gift. Oh and I always give him the new Taz ornament for his stocking (when I can find it). And a couple lottery tickets. One year, I found a couple pairs of really neat socks that I stuck in his stocking.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my granson a stocking hat that has the bluetooth built into it, around 20.00 on Amazon. Candy bars are always welcome, I also got those Live Play gaming cards for X-Box One, you can get them for 1, 3, 6 months and for a year. I got several three month cards during Black Friday, reg. 24.99 for 15.00.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are kind of crazy about Christmas decorating, and, of course, we love our cats. Every family member has a stocking (with their name) including each of our cats. We also put out the stockings for all of our cats who have passed; putting them out gives me a chance to think about the happy times we had with them although I must admit I do shed a few tears.

The stockings for the humans all include an orange and some coal (we have a bunch of pieces of real coal wrapped in plastic wrap to avoid staining). Everyone has been good and just a little bit naughty during the year. Throughout the year my wife and I find little things to put in the stockings.

The cats' stockings include toys, treats, and catnip.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH is avoiding sweets, gluten, soy and dairy right now...so I'm having trouble myself. :crazy: Normally we get chocolate oranges in our stockings and then various other sweets. (Yes i stuff my own..) I'm very tempted to stuff his stocking with socks and underwear this year. ;) I found reusable twist ties that look useful. I've tried to get DH to use some local made soaps. Those would be great stocking stuffers. Travel containers are another idea. DH will use them for things like gum or trail mix for work. Or he will put band aids and things in another like a mini first aid kit. Lense cleaning supplies are good too for glasses or sunglasses.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things I have done and some things I have purchased this year

jerky
pepperette sticks
chocolate bars / candies
gummies
other single serving snacks and such
coffee gift cards
"gag" food gifts, like a Mr.noodle, hot sauce, pkg. of instant mashed potatoes, etc..
tictacs
an individual can of beer or liquor shots

tooth brush/paste/mouthwash/floss
tums (he gets heartburn sometimes)
individually wrapped stick on heat wraps for sore muscles
chap stick
mini facial tissue packages
deodorant, soap and other hygiene stuff

lighters/bbq lighters
campfire and BBQ things
car things (cloth, sponge, individually wrapped cleaning wipes, etc...)
note pads (he uses them for work)
useful novelty items (funny toothbrush holder, computer screen "cloth" - it was a plush baseball, etc...)
money clip
shot glass
one of those things that gives you more plug ins at the electrical outlet
back scratcher
novelty ornament
batteries
gag things, like a head massager (one of those things that looks like a whisk that's not connected at the end), a mini transformer toy or lego (a little fun nostalgia)

Honestly the best thing you can do is walk all the isles at your local dollar store. That's where I find most of my things. Or it will give me an idea for something that I will pick up elsewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. I do look in the Dollar stores and at check outs. I try to keep the stuffers less than $10 - cheap I know, but the stockings are just for fun, not big gifts in my house.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I used to hang them for DH and I (and the cats). In fact, MIL gave us beautiful needlepoint ones with our names on them (she bought them; she didn't actually embroider them) many years ago, but I no longer put up stockings for DH and I, after DH said he didn't "Want the junk [that I] put in them", so, the heck with him, he no longer gets surprise gifts/a stocking. I have to admit, even after 13 years, what he said stills bothers me, so I'm thinking about donating the stockings to charity, since they weren't made by MIL. If she had made them, I'd keep them, but not use them, even though the sight of them makes me angry.

I really don't like Christmas.