Christmas Dinner

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Have you thought about what to make for Christmas dinner this year?

I'm not sure yet when the kids are coming to celebrate Christmas with us. But we've pretty much given up on traditional dinners with them. I usually just make what they want. For years, they've wanted beef pot pie. I would make the regular stuff. And my granddaughter and I would make gluten-free pot pie for our DIL. Our son can make it and it's quite good. And our granddaughter is becoming an expert pot pie maker. But it's not the same as Grandma's pot pie (I think it's the wine, but they don't believe me. I always add a bit of red wine to the broth.)

Anyway....This year? I think our son "helped" with their decisions. He and Rick are avid ribs guys and our grandson is turning into one as well. They pretty much texted me with this menu....

2 racks of dry-rubbed ribs and 1 rack of wet BBQ ribs (outside if the weather is good)
BBQ chicken thighs in the NFG (I did them the last time our grandson was here and he thought he'd died and went to heaven. Go figure.)
Cheesy mashed potatoes
Asparagus with leeks
7-layer salad
Pickled red beet eggs
Braided egg bread (our son really wants this and is already looking forward to it)
Chocolate chip cheesecake (Rick is making it; it's one of those 3-step cheesecakes)
Crustless peanut butter pie; that way I don't have to worry about flour in the crust. Our DIL is gluten-free.
Cookies

So it's not traditional at all. But, you know, it also doesn't matter. Even Rick (who is a big traditionalist for Thanksgiving dinner) has changed for Christmas dinner.

If they come on Christmas, that's fine. If they come after Christmas, I'm looking at a baked ham for Rick and me. With sweet potatoes, dried corn, and green beans. Probably just cookies for dessert. Nothing elaborate.

What's on your Christmas menu?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was thinking about you and Christmas a couple days ago :)

We got a ham. I could live on just ham. It sounds like homemade garlic mashed potatoes are a possibility, and whatever else falls out of the fridge for any other veggies, maybe some eggnog, cookies and I'm not sure about a specific dessert since I've been making blackberry crisps and such already so that we don't have any temptations left when January rolls around and we get back to a more strict diet.

New Years Eve we're going to do a beer cheese fondue, all because my partner has decided he's going to make Alton Brown's soft pretzels.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I was invited to my cousin's son's house for Christmas Day. It is really a nice time.. very intimate.. only me, my cousin, his wife, son, daughter-in-law and the 3 boys, and of course Annie--sweetest dog..--- really almost adults.. so nice. So much food: Tenderloin roast... Do not know the entire menu, but last year, it was the roast, cheesy mashed potatoes, Brussel sprouts with bacon & Grated Parmesan cheese, gravy, green beans... tons of cookies. The middle son, a junior in high school made his first cinnamon buns!
Had such a good time..

Christmas Eve, I could go over my other cousin's, but... they live a bit away from me. It is an open house, and a really late night. I am avoiding night driving because of cataracts. I should get them done next year. Too much has happened this year. Plus they live on the second floor of an old two family house.. and the stairs to the house are steep.. Knee issues also.. So, I probably will not go.. The family will be mad at me, but.... I really do not feel safe driving.. Side streets are dark.. and walking up the stairs, has been a bit difficult for me the past couple years...

Have not decided what to have for Christmas Eve.. something simple.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Would they be willing to come pick you up and then bring you back home?
No, no one from Christmas Eve would be willing to drive to my city to pick me up.. That type of family. and they all live in the somewhat opposite direction from where I live.One relative/friend whom I am kind of closer to, told me to take an Uber.. It would cost at least $34 one way.. Add up round trip, Tip, Christmas Eve Fee.. and it is close to $100...
I cannot afford that.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far all I've come up with is a baked ham...probably use some of my chutney to make a glaze...baked sweet potatoes,some sort of cauliflower and hawaiian rolls.We always have an assortment of cheeses,dips and crackers,and I think I'm going to make a ricotta and goat cheese cheesecake,maybe a blueberry topping.That's as far as I've gotten.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My Vietnam veteran neighbor up the road is a committed Buddhist who fasts on Christmas Eve. (I don’t know what the 2 isms have in common…maybe he is meditating on those less fortunate?). But because he is so insanely thin to begin with I jam his mailbox full of Xmas food & he appreciates the bounty, after he fasts. His eyes are going, so hard for him to shop— :confused:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t a clue. None of my kids will be here:bawling2:so it doesn’t really matter. Bills (my hubby)appetite is awful anyway. He will take a couple of bites and that will be it. I may do what I did last year when Bill was in the hospital and the kids didn’t come over. I think I had sandwich.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So what time shall I be at your house for New Years Eve and those soft pretzels and fondue?! Yum!
Following up, the pretzels didn't get made because our yeast was too old and dead, so I toasted unsplit English muffins, then split them and darn if that worked to get a crispy outside and soft inside. The fondue went wonky, one cheese melted but the other didn't. Fortunately it still tasted good even if it was thin. Flexibility is the name of the game, Happy New Year everybody!