Christmas Dinner

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I finally sat down and figured out what we're doing for Christmas dinner this year. It's just Rick and me (and Bob coming in to pick his dinner up). As with Thanksgiving, he had gotten invited to his parents' for dinner, but they don't wear masks at all. His brother and SO will be there, but they refuse to wear masks, too. He doesn't feel comfortable around them because of that. He's started working from home again, until the end of January. Anyway, it really bothered me that he would have no Thanksgiving dinner, so we had him come over to our house and pick his dinner up, take it home, and enjoy it that way. With the pandemic, he's not coming into the house. And we're doing it for Christmas, too. I'll pack up dinner in containers, he'll come over, pick everything up, and take it back home. I asked Dear Richard if he was ok with this and he agreed; he really likes Bob, too.

Filled Pork Chops
Amish Potato Filling (a cross between mashed potatoes and a bread filling. Don't laugh; it's really good!)
Dried Corn
Asparagus with Leeks
Creamed Onions
Butternut Squash with Dried Fruit (apricots and cherries and a maple syrup sauce. It's good stuff.)
Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad
Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake (Bought it from Junior's in NY because I thought Dear Richard deserved a treat)

No white coconut cake this year. It's not worth running into town, just to pick up a cake, not during the pandemic. I thought about making it, but since it's really just me (Rick despises coconut with a passion), I couldn't see the need. My sister was disappointed, but she understands.

I was talking to my son last night. He said that, since it was just Rick and me for dinner, he knew what we were having. And he was right, although very disappointed. He loves filled pork chops and they don't prepare them at all. He dearly loves creamed onions, too, and the only time he has them is when they come here for dinner. I told him I'd take a picture; he called me a snot.

What's your menu? Did you figure it out yet?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A big whole ham, scalloped potatoes, home-canned sweet corn, a relish tray, and pumpkin pie for dessert. Since we are all retired and really don't go anywhere we are sharing it Christmas eve with Bob's folks. Then to the next town for Christmas day with our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson. Then stay at home for two weeks to make sure we didn't pick up anything. I have only seen my mother through a window, with a mask, since March, she is in assisted living. Thank God the vaccinations are being given......

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought two bone in ribeye steaks before Thanksgiving. I (WE) had one for that and I froze the other for Christmas. The girls and I will share it. I'll have some kind of vegetable with it and maybe a roll with butter. I have coffee ice cream in the freezer if I feel like having some later on that night.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very small ham with pineapple, mashed potatoes, piece of kielbasa, and breaded sautéed green beans.

Dessert is either tiny Whoopie pies , or Italian Anisette snowball cookies. Cannot decide. Or a piece of Panettone. I have it all.

Christmas Eve is undecided. Could have some pierogi — boiled, then sautéed in butter; or just some appetizers.

I will have plenty of leftovers. I may share way friend in the building; who is having Christmas with her sister— also in building. Neither cook. They will have a reheated dinner why the building is providing on Thursday. Yucks. Forget what it is.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roast beef.yorkshire pudding,golden broccoli casserole,both gravy and horseradish sauce,dinner rolls,and a tossed salad.I also have an assortment of olives,stuffed sweet peppers,pickles and cheeses,salami and pepperoni and several kinds of crackers and I'm going to make a spread of cream cheese and smoked trout,kinda set up like an antipasto platter..For dessert ... a cannoli cheesecake and.a cream cheese pumpkin pie with a meringue on top.Should be interesting!

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas will just be me, my husband and our boys. Christmas Eve dinner will be roasted Cornish game hens with baby potatoes, garlic walnut green beans and cranberry sauce.
Christmas Day will be eggplant Parmesan garlic bread and a green salad. I have jalapeño poppers and mini quiches for an appetizer and am thinking of picking up some shrimp for shrimp cocktail. My youngest son is very fussy so he asked for Cornish hen for both days.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't going to do a Christmas dinner, it's just me and an internet meeting for Christmas, but they have their store brand spiral sliced ham for 88 cents a pound with a $25.00 purchase. It doesn't take much for $25. I got a ham, cheese and half and half for au gratin potatoes. I didn't get the stuff to dress up canned baked beans. The Bush's baked beans are pretty good on their own so I those to just heat up. I also bought a small pecan pie. I have some frozen yeast rolls I can heat up. I also got a bag of cranberries, I have some oranges I can zest so I am going to make cranberry sauce today. I never understood the canned stuff because it so easy to make.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the duck ever defrosts in time that's what the two of us will have for Christmas dinner. Disjoint, cook breasts, save legs for another meal, use carcass for stock. Make a quince and apple whatever to accompany it. I used to make chestnut puree but haven't seen any chestnuts this year and I've never tried the dried canned ones. Wild rice? Maybe. Something green, perhaps broccoli. And fruitcake for dessert.

Tonight I'm thinking of broiled, bacon-wrapped scallops and shrimp. White rice. Sugar snap peas if there are any in the freezer.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just me for the holidays. fajitas tonight and possibly again as leftovers tomorrow. Otherwise homemade deep dish pizza tomorrow