Christmas Dinner

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For the last several years, our Christmas entree has been a crown roast of pork. Last year, the grands decided that they wanted beef pot pie. The kind of pot pie where the dough is rolled out and cut into squares and then dropped into the simmering beef, seasonings, and potatoes. Since my DIL is gluten-free, I make two batches of pot pie, one made with regular flour and one made with King Arthur's Measure for Measure GF flour. It works.

I was talking to Dearest Son and asked him if he wanted the crown roast. Or maybe I could just do a baked ham for sandwiches, make some salads, maybe some baked beans, and so on and just have a casual buffet. (I needed to know because I have to order the crown roast ahead of time, so it's ready for pick-up at the butcher.)

Dearest Son talked to Dearest Grands, who said they wanted....

Beef pot pie!
Again?
Yes!
You know that's not Christmas, right?
Does it have to be?
Well, no, but.....
That's what we want!
Seriously?
Yes! (And then Dearest Granddaughter suggested that she make the regular pot pie while I make the GF pot pie. Well, what could I say?)
:sigh: You're lucky I love you guys!
We love you, Grandma!

Beef pot pie it is! I'm thinking with some applesauce, cranberry relish and maybe some freezer cabbage to go along with the mix. Desserts will be cookies, the white coconut cake, and some version of snickerdoodle cheesecake. And one peanut butter pie because my DIL loves peanut butter. Oh, crap, I have to order the cake!

When Dearest Richard found out that we were having pot pie (again) for dinner, he wasn't particularly amused. Oh, he likes it, but we have it fairly often around here. So I suggested that he and I have our own Christmas dinner and I'd make filled pork chops with apples and raisins, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc for the two of us at some point. That made him happy.

And life is good. At least, I hope it is. I need wine.

What are you having for Christmas dinner? Have you thought about it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL my goodness! You are an amazing cook and baker!
For the first time, I'll be making a chicken pot pie ( the two crust kind) for Christmas Eve, and Christmas day we'll be having baked ham and potato salad (yup, the summertime picnic kind. The reasoning being, cold potatoes have less starch, thus more can be eaten....or something like that. Who am I to argue :D) and apparently shortbread cookies for dessert ;) , although I'll be making a couple other things too...
And sometime during Christmas week we'll be at a relative's for prime rib.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ours will be Christmas lunch the Sunday before.

Prime Rib
Mushrooms in butter and wine sauce
Bacon wrapped asparagus (or just asparagus depending on oven space).
Garlic knots and regular rolls
Squash (butternut and acorn but I am campaigning for crook neck)
Antipasto Salad
Cream Cheese and Jalapeno jelly on crackers for an appetizer.
Apple pie for dessert.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yummo!!
I have an apple pie in the freezer but that'll be for new years ;)
I would be killed if I made tried to sneak in a frozen pie. I think I have to bake four pies this year.... maybe three...It's from scratch with a crumb topping so a good four hours in the kitchen the night before.

For Thanksgiving I got a reprieve because two people wanted pumpkin instead. But my uncle and Aunt both take home a pie as their present for Christmas and no one wants pumpkin this time.

IMG_20181121_203806.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL I can't ever get away with a crumb topping on my pies, (I wish I could now and then. That photo looks SO scrumptious Kieka Kieka )
At one point I had a lot of apples from a backyard tree and I had to figure out edible ways to deal with them. One method is where I fill the pie shell, put the top shell on and in the freezer they go, unbaked :)

K Kflowers I know, right? :thumbsup: :yess: ...and mmmm, ice cream- there's a current tv commercial that has me thinking of a root beer float :yummy:

muffy muffy what a lovely gift :gift:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Months ago I found eye round roast....the whole big one....on sale for $3.29 a pound and decided right then and there "here's Christmas dinner!" so in the freezer it went.Knowing my family,we'll have Yorkshire pudding and I'll make brown gravy,a veggie of some sort (haven't gotten that far)and maybe a salad,and I know for sure a pumpkin pie and a peanut butter cheesecake with a chocolate ganache drizzle.Whew!My work's cut out for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yum to the beef roasts being served for Christmas! Rick's mother always did an eye round or a standing rib roast, complete with Yorkshire pudding, for Christmas dinner. Delicious.

A few years ago, I started doing a standing rib roast for my birthday in January. With, of course, the Yorkshire pudding. I'm really picky about the way the roast is prepared, so I always do it myself.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yum to the beef roasts being served for Christmas! Rick's mother always did an eye round or a standing rib roast, complete with Yorkshire pudding, for Christmas dinner. Delicious.

A few years ago, I started doing a standing rib roast for my birthday in January. With, of course, the Yorkshire pudding. I'm really picky about the way the roast is prepared, so I always do it myself.
Does a bone in rib eye steak count? :yummy:

I know what you mean about being picky about the roast. If it's overcooked, it's ruined. You can add warm broth to dry turkey breast but overcooked beef? No. Just no.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't decided what we are having yet. It is just us two hoomans and the cats, so nothing fancy. My vote is for pot roast. Easy to prepare and not a lot of dishes to clean afterwards.(Plus it's delicious:D)
My partner is leaning toward ham because we already have one in the deep freezer and we can share a little with the cats. (Can't give the cats pot roast because of the onions)
She's probably right, but I keep thinking about all the side dishes that I have to make if we do ham...and all those dirty dishes...:sigh:
Yes, I know I sound a bit grinchy, but I have to work Christmas Eve so I want to be lazy on Christmas.:rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
hummm, side dishes for ham -- bread, pickles, mayonnaise, potato salad -- right?
Yes!

Our Giant is doing free hams with a coupon and $100 spent on one order. At this time of year, spending $100 is pretty easy to do, so I'm taking advantage. I'm not sure when we'll have our ham, but you can pretty well bet that potato salad will be one of sides served with it.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have something non traditional that’s still a treat.

Since I’ve cut back on beef but still like the taste, I’ll usually grill a nice T-bone on an open fire.

With baked potatoes with butter and bacon on the side.