Christmas cacti vs Thanksgiving cacti

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine bloomed but only had a few flowers. It's on the same windowsill right next to the Thanksgiving cacti that bloom so riotously. Maybe Easter cacti don't like the same things Thanksgiving cacti like?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That's beautiful!

One of mine had a few blooms this year. The other one was dropping leaves :/. Maybe I should move them away from the window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! Very nice!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! That's beautiful!

One of mine had a few blooms this year. The other one was dropping leaves :/. Maybe I should move them away from the window.
We have a pretty mild climate here and leave it outside year round.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Funny you should post this today, as just yesterday, I noticed my Thanksgiving Cacti are getting buds. Guess I better not tell them Thanksgiving in Canada has come and gone. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This just showed up in my Facebook feed -

View attachment 401055
I've been trying to find an actual Christmas cactus since I found out there was a difference, and they seem to be super rare. Every one I see in stores is a Thanksgiving cactus.

Mine currently don't have any buds so they aren't going to bloom by Thanksgiving this year. They look fine otherwise (good color, new growth, etc.). I don't know what's up with them.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Thanksgiving cactus is starting to bloom. It was sold as a Christmas cactus, one-half white and on-half red. But, it reliably blooms in November. My real Christmas cactus isn't even budding yet. It will bloom through Easter.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should post this today, as just yesterday, I noticed my Thanksgiving Cacti are getting buds. Guess I better not tell them Thanksgiving in Canada has come and gone. :lol:
One of mine is getting flower buds, too. They're American Thanksgiving cacti. :lol:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
After seeing all of these; makes me want a flowering cactus. Do not care what holiday.

Wonder if Geoffrey would chomp in it???

I have Northeast light.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We call these Zygos, or Zygocactus.. technically not correct but Schlumbergera is too hard to say, and we wouldn't call them Christmas Cactus down here in Australia. of course. They make a lovely display in Winter when so few things bloom.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love to chomp them, that's why mine are at work, lol. Ok, one is at home, I have it on a wide windowsill surrounded by cat spike mats, but the cats still sometimes manage to get a bite in now and then. The cacti are, fortunately, quite edible and not toxic at all (could still cause vomiting, like grass). But of course Geoffrey might be better behaved. . .

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After seeing all of these; makes me want a flowering cactus. Do not care what holiday.

My cats never touch mine, but then I have them on high glass shelves I've trained them to stay off of. The important thing is to keep them in a room that has the natural length of daylight. They bloom when the days get shorter; that's why Mani's don't bloom at Christmas because it's summer in Australia and the days are long.

I've picked mine up at the grocery store. If yours has a flower section, check there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably, as Ruby has. But only once, I think. And I didn't even know she had, until I heard the heaving of pending vomit, followed by a puddle with green specks in it. Course I Googled, found out they were non-toxic to cats, and still called the emergency vet, just to be sure.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I discovered that what I thought was a Christmas cactus was an Easter cactus.

My big one is outside on a bench where the cats like to hang out and they've never bothered it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam's Club has big beautiful half red/half white Thanksgiving cacti out for $14.99 right now, for anyone who wants one and has a membership or knows anyone who does.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was out shopping for outside Christmas planters and while looking saw a bunch of blooming "Christmas" cacti, which now I know are actually Thanksgiving cacti. There was a really pretty white one that caught my eye, but didn't buy as I don't have a place for it.

The buds on my 2 are getting bigger every day, so I should have blooms this week.

Anyone else's about to bloom?