Christmas and New Year's dinner

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The kids are coming for Christmas on Tuesday, Dec 28. That means Rick and I will enjoy a quiet Christmas day.

Usually I do a brunch when it's just Rick and me, but he asked me to make filled pork chops for dinner again this year. I'm making sticky buns on Friday morning, so we'll enjoy them on Christmas morning with hot chocolate, while opening gifts.

Pork chops filled with apples and raisins (I'll have extra stuffing as a bed for the chops)
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Dried corn
Cranberry relish
Freezer cabbage
Christmas cookies for a bit of dessert

I'm making beef pot pie when the kids visit on Tuesday. Along with the rest of the cranberry relish. And it's pretty much just that. When I make pot pie, that's all they want. They're happy with that and I usually quadruple my recipe and make it in a stock pot. My granddaughter and I will make regular beef pot pie as well as gluten-free pot pie for DIL. Desserts will be Rick's tiramisu cheesecake. I'm making a peanut butter pie without the crust as it's gluten-free. And Christmas cookies for dessert. I've decided to let the coconut cake go until my birthday in January.

For New Year's Eve, I always do the Big Sandwich; I make a round loaf of bread, split it, and fill it with lettuce, tomatoes, lots of deli meats and cheeses. Wrap it in foil, heat it in the oven, and we'll have it while watching movies. Louisville wings done in the NFG. And chilled shrimp with my cocktail sauce. We'll take it all out to the WeShed and enjoy it there.

On New Year's Day, I always make pork and sauerkraut for good luck through the year. Mashed potatoes and, sometimes, even dumplings. Rick will enjoy the last of his cheesecake.

Diets start on January 3rd!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had planned to go visit friends on Christmas Day, but they've canceled because of COVID, so I'm gong to have to raid the cupboard to see what to make. I have some stuff frozen in the freezer and some boxed scalloped potatoes. Maybe that and some doctored-up canned asparagus will work.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We're going to the neighbors for Christmas brunch which usually lasts well into the afternoon. She's a wonderful cook so I let her decide on the menu. She always makes sure to have several vegetarian options for me which I appreciate and I always do the baking.

Every year we watch the Twilight Zone on New Year's Eve into New Year's Day. It's become a tradition! I'll be making veggie flatbread and we'll have some type of coffee ice cream for dessert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christmas dinner will be tomorrow instead of Saturday. I took the chicken out to thaw yesterday (I blame the pandemic for why I'm losing track of the days:crazy:) which means it'll be ready tomorrow and probably won't last until Saturday. No big deal really. I need to do a quick trip to the supermarket tomorrow morning for some onion and celery to make the rice pilaf with. I'm going to use unsalted butter in the pilaf this time and omit the raisins but maybe toss in some frozen peas or edamame.

Can we all go to Winchester Winchester 's house for dinner? :yummy:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm watching A Christmas Story right now and they are at the scene where the dogs eat their turkey and they go out for "Chinese Turkey". That's a good idea. I'm going to see if I can get some Buddha's Delight delivered today. Here at AL I am getting yams and broccoli for Christmas dinner. I don't care for yams and I'm tired of broccoli. Pizza sounds good for New Years Eve.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had Christmas and our dinner with our son and daughter in law yesterday, so she could have today with her family. So we had baked ham with an orange marmalade/mustard glaze, cheesy scalloped potatoes, lemon-garlic green beans, brioche dinner rolls, olives and pickles galore. I made a lemon cheesecake and a fresh blueberry topping, and an apple raisin pie with a streusel topping. There was also fruitcake, and it was pretty boozy, so I sent some home with the kids and hubby and I had a slice last night. Lovely lovely day!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas Eve was to be my cannaloni but it was postponed until my son and his gf are out of COVID isolation after exposure. Christmas Day dinner was at my sisters and I was supposed to bring bread. I bought a couple loafs of Italian bread and then made Red Lobster box mix cheddar biscuits. The biscuits were the biggest hit so next year it will be all biscuits.

As far as the bread I bought it unsliced early in the week, tightly wrapped it and froze it until this morning. I have done this before and it always turns out so well. This morning I popped it into the over at 325 degrees for 30 minutes and it comes out like it was freshly baked, with a soft middle and a crunchy crust. Way easier than fighting the crowds to get fresh bread the day before too.