Christmas and Cookies (and other snacks)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandma used to make Stollen every year. She also made these cookies she called Lebecerbraken (sp?), but I don't have the recipe and can't find one anywhere, so I'm not sure if that's the real name.
I make pumpkin cookies, which are more like a pumpkin bread nugget. This year I made a pumpkin cheesecake and today I'm going to try a peanut butter cheesecake but it may not be just a Christmas thing if it turns out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope I make him proud.
I'll bet you are:heartshape:

Winchester Winchester I saw that maple shortbread cookie recipe and was rather tempted, but there are a few recipes I make where I've been told they're too good to mess with, and the shortbread cookie is one of 'em lol

Mother came stateside without any of her family recipes plus she wasn't a baker by nature, so I ended up kind of on my own. Around here for the holidays, I made Mexican wedding cookies/Russian teacakes/snowballs for several years, and chocolate chip.

This year, I may dig out those snowball cookies, I have a standing request for shortbread cookies, and I decided to try another cooks country recipe that's a muffin tin donut :)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandma used to make ... these cookies she called Lebecerbraken (sp?), but I don't have the recipe and can't find one anywhere, so I'm not sure if that's the real name.

My Grandma used to make these peanut butter no-bake cookies with a "dollop" of chocolate on them. We had no other name for them other than "Gra'ma's Peanut Butter Balls". Years later, I was looking up recipes online and came across a peanut butter "candy" that looked extremely familiar... Buckeyes!

I still make Grandma's version, which is a little different, and they are still a grand hit whenever I make them.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 let me take a guess. What you are calling Lebecerbraken (sp?) might actually be lebkuchen. It's a long lasting cookie that I bake around Thanksgiving because the flavors need time to mellow. As well as the usual ingredients - flour etc - it has honey, should have candied citron but I ran short and substituted candied orange peel. Bakes in a cake-style layer when cut when cool and frosted with a lemon icing. One of my favorites.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother made some cookies. We did not help, but I think there were five or six different kinds. When I was married to my ex-husband, his great-grandma who lived with us would make a few cookies.Yes, his great-grandma, my children's great-great-grandma. I helped with those, and then I took over and she helped with mine when she was unable to do it all by herself. Bena (the name my children called her) was my favorite person and a joy to be around. She thought she was still 5'2", but I would remind her that I am 5'0" and could see the top of her head. She and I would listen to her old radio on some AM station while we baked. Up until the year she died, she was very active, and we would sometimes dance in the kitchen. My goodness, I miss that woman!

Anyway, she made the best cut-out cookies. They were soft and fluffy but held up to dunking into tea or hot chocolate. We used to make little West Highland White Terrier cookies (they were probably supposed to be Scotty dogs, but with white icing, they were Westies) and decorated little sweaters on them with gel icing and a toothpick. I wish I had that recipe.

When I took over cookie making, I would make little cherry and cream cheese tarts. I hate cherries, but I made them anyway because I thought it was funny when she would sneak out into the kitchen to "snitch" some as they warmed.

I make a bunch of cookies and candies now. I give some to my neighbors who I like, my friend and her mother, my one sister that I like, my son's dojo group, one of my daughter's friends, my mother-in-law, my son's best friend who is like a son to me, my one sister-in-law, and our vet. I hope to still make them all this year with how busy we have been with my daughter in the hospital and my new grandson. (I am going to be called Mina in honor of our Bena.) My neighbors always say it is the happiest day of the year when they get their tins of cookies and candy. I cannot disappoint them! I will likely add a few batches to give to the nurses who cared for my daughter while she has been in the hospital, to the hospital valets, and the security on the Labor and Delivery floor. I will have to cut down and the types I make if I want to do it this year considering everything.

My hopeful list of cookies and candies for this year:
Cut-outs (not as good as my Bena's but getting there.)
Chocolate chip (I have spent years perfecting the recipe)
Macrons with various fillings (This year, I may only make matcha, Earl Grey, and rose pistachio.)
Raspberry cream tarts
Chocolate crinkles
Chai melting moments
London fog sugar cookies
Biscotti (chocolate with caramel bits and spiced)
Cracker toffee
Toffee corn
Chocolate covered toffee corn
Vanilla creams
Orange creams
Blueberry and white chocolate bark
Rose and pistachio creams
Chocolate, fake peanut butter (Wow Butter), caramel, and pretzel candies
Mallow cups
Fudge

If there is time, I may try to make Turkish Delight this year.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She also made these cookies she called Lebecerbraken (sp?), but I don't have the recipe and can't find one anywhere, so I'm not sure if that's the real name.

Could it be lebkuchen, German spiced Christmas cookies?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you are calling Lebecerbraken (sp?) might actually be lebkuchen
Could it be lebkuchen,
I looked up lebkuchen and that definitely is not it. But then, this recipe was handed down generations. It could have been something my great-great grandmother made up.

BTW, the PB Cheesecake is not for Christmas only. I am not going to wait another year to eat another one. I made two, one will be gone by morning. (there are other people eating it also).

Last edited:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What great stories!!
My mom made cut out cookies and caramel corn, and my grandma always made German Peppernuts (Pfeffernusse). Those were always the highlight of the season for us. Over the 30 years we've been married our traditional cookies are cut-outs, rum bars, tea cookies (aka snowballs), and candy cane cookies. It's been more of a challenge since I developed a gluten intolerance 2 years ago. The first Christmas I was gf I made double batches of everything, and had SO MANY because no one else ate the gf! Since then I pick one type to make half a batch of for myself, and do without for the rest.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My mother would make the marshmallow fluff fudge every year.