Choosing The Right Toys For Your Kitten

muggle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey cat-owners! :hellocat:

I am very excited to announce that I will be the owner of an adorable Siberian kitten! I am so pumped to meet him in a few weeks from now and this is my first time owning a cat, so I'm a bit of a newbie (but I did lots of research on cats - especially Siberians). I already went shopping for the supplies, and bought some catnip plush toys but I'm not sure if the catnip toys are good since it doesn't affect them until they are about 6 months old. Does catnip expire? Also, it would be nice if I could have some suggestions on kitten toys. :thanks:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS:hithere::welcomesign: And congratulations on your soon-to- be kitten!:happycat:

I have catnip toys that are years old, and my guys still seem to get a catnip 'fix' from them. You could always bag them up and freeze them to keep the catnip fresher. Alternatively, once your guy is older (and you know how he reacts to catnip), you could seal the toys in a catnip-filled Ziploc bag to refresh their scent :)

When choosing kitten toys, look for ones that seem pretty tough and well made (decent stitching, tougher fabric etc), or things like pingpong balls and the like, that are reasonably indestructible to young teeth and claws. Kitten toys take a LOT of beating :devilcat:

Other good option are stand alone toys - things like the Catit circuits or plastic ball towers. My guys guys especially loved these when they were young. Ball-in-a-box toys are good too, especially the cardboard scratcher type ones. These have holes in the sides and top for kitty to out paws in to try and get the balls out. Some mechanical toys can be fun, but these always need supervision.

Wand toys and laser pointers are great for interactive playtime - especially important with a single kitten. You'll be taking on the role of his mom and littermate, to play with, teach and entertain him.

Cat trees are must-have pieces of furniture too, for playtime, comfy naps and climbing practice, as well as actual scratching.

These articles have good tips too:-
How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
Top Selling Cat Toys
7 Festive Cat Toys That Will Make Kitty Bounce With Joy
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!
First-time Cat Owner's Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muggle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome and your review! I do agree that the toys you listed above are all great for young kittens. I also happened to buy a cat tree today, judging how important they are for their playtime and space so you're spot on right about the cat tree being very vital for them. I also took the time to read the articles and I found them to be so informative :)

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my girls were little they both enjoyed these springs. . To this day, we have a full box of toys and this is the one they will dig in the box to find.