Choosing the right breed for your lifestyle!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello All,
There are always so many heartbreaking stories of people not being matched with the perfect dog for their lifestyles. People tend to choose based on looks or what their friend may have or what colour the breed tends to be...
Well, here is a good breed selector test to take to ensure that the pup or dog you acquire is the one best suited for you:

http://www.ckc.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=136

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you .. it assurred me that I with my lifestyle can possibley still handle a german shepard..

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Straffordshire terrior for me big
imagine that LOL

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one key question they forgot to ask is about the ability for them to fit in with other pets. It put me down for a long list of terriors which I wouldn't consider adopting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, M-o-m...I can't remember if I have seen that on other breed selectors...
And yeah, you may want to reconsider many types of terrier if you have cats

(sidenote: I see many people are spelling terrier as in "terrior" and I wonder if this is Freudian...Ie, the little "terrors"
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My results were:
1-Bishon Frise-yappy little pom-pom
2-Bloodhound-too wrinkly
3-Boxer-I wouldn't mind one

4-Cairn Terrier-aka TERROR
5-Wire Fox Terrior-aka TERROR

lol The only dog on my results list I would considering having around is a Boxer. I think that not all dogs are very breed specific. We have a lab that isn't very Lab like. She hates to be outside & to move off her tiny little bum!

*I do not want a Boxer because it is a Boxer, I think they are nice dogs. I hate to see them in pounds because they are simply Boxers.*

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

(sidenote: I see many people are spelling terrier as in "terrior" and I wonder if this is Freudian...Ie, the little "terrors"
)
You caught me! Yup, I believe I do view them as little "terrors"! LOL!!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a bit confused. I selected a large breed, medium long coat, obedience training is important, and a physical deterrant to intruders. It showed toy poodle, bichon frise. I don't think either one of those breeds fit my preference!

shalva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow.... i have to say that that breed selector came up with breeds for me that i would never have in a million years.... I changed answers and changed answers and couldn't get it to come up with my breeds ......
Personally I wouldn't trust that one...... what a riot.....
I breed and show retrievers.... I adore them and they are a perfect fit for our lifestyle but I couldn't get a single retriever to come up .... weird
s

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shalva

wow.... i have to say that that breed selector came up with breeds for me that i would never have in a million years.... I changed answers and changed answers and couldn't get it to come up with my breeds ......
I breed and show retrievers.... I adore them and they are a perfect fit for our lifestyle but I couldn't get a single retriever to come up .... weird
s
Okay, thanks, at least I know it's not just me!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though I alredy have a dog.. I am alwasy wanteing one more!

Breed Score
Borzoi I would own one.. sure. =)

Karelian Bear Dog I don't know anything about this breed other than a few small tidbits.

Mastiff =D!! I would LOVE to own a mastiff! prefferably a French Mastiff (dogue des bordeaux; Hooch from the movie Turner and Hooch)

Norwegian Elkhound very gorgeous dogs.. but I don't think I would ever own one

Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen like a little fuzzy basset hound
I doubt it..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shalva

s
Remember that breed selectors are fallible and only to be used as a guideline.
What I like about these tools is that more than telling a prospective owner what exact dog they should get, they give you an inkling of what dogs you SHOULDN'T own...
Ie, an active jogger shouldn't look to a pug as a running companion and a lazy couch potato who never leaves the house shouldn't end up with a dalmatian or a labrador ideally.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the dogs they gave me matched what I like....goes to prove that I need mutts! A little of everything in each one!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never owned a dog before but it says that I have a 97% match with a beagle.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
mine also gave me some really strange results.

I prefer this breed selector:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

it doesn't rank the breeds but it gives you all the ones that fit your preferences. Then you can click on the breed and get a good description of their personality / needs / health issues, etc.

Personally, I would also want a mutt... but it's still important to know what kind of breeds are compatible with my lifestyle. That way I know that a "terrier mix" or a "border collie mix" would not be good for me, but a "retriever mix" or "rottweiler mix" (
) would be a better choice.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Personally, I would also want a mutt... but it's still important to know what kind of breeds are compatible with my lifestyle. That way I know that a "terrier mix" or a "border collie mix" would not be good for me, but a "retriever mix" or "rottweiler mix" (
) would be a better choice.
Yes, good point!

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mastiff for me! I happen to love them too! I had a Bullmastiff for 9 wonderful years and they are great dogs! Right now our busy lifestyle makes it impossible for us to gave a dog though.