Chocolate DLH Fur Baby

gavin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. This is Coco, our new 12 week old kitten. We adopted her from the Humane Society so we know she is a 'domestic longhaired' cat. I believe chocolate is a rare color for cats, but she is mainly chocolate with some darker chocolate legs (aka boots) and tail. I've had black cats before and she is not black. Are there any breeds that have these similar colors? Or is this her kitten coat and shell get darker with age? Is that even a thing? Her eyes are yellow-green. Thanks for any help!

20201225_141636.jpg
20201226_183507.jpg
20201226_181725.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several here who are knowledgeable in breed and will surely reply to you soon.

Meantime, let me say how adorably cute your kitty Coco is! Her color is indeed rare for a cat.
Congratulations! What a sweet find!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely!

Her color could possibly be either chocolate, or seal sepia (the color of sable Burmese). From these pictures, I think she is more likely chocolate in color, rather than sepia, and the variation in color that you are seeing is due to her long coat. It's normal on a solid colored longhair cat, such as a solid black or solid blue (gray) longhair, for the longer parts of the coat on the ruff, belly, etc. to be lighter in color.

Both chocolate and sepia are recessive traits that are relatively uncommon in the domestic cat gene pool. Chocolate probably originally came from the Siamese many generations ago, while sepia originally came from the Burmese. These recessives are scattered around the gene pool today, occasionally producing chocolate or sepia kittens when two carrier cats happen to mate.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it, is his body darkish alike the head and paws? If so, he is probably chocolate. Its common dark longhairs have a lighter mane, causing them to looks almost as a point of sorts. I myself mistook this sometimes, until I learned. :)

The alternative is the burmese point, sepia colored. Observe, the burmese point doesnt carry the blue eyes, unlike the siamese type point. So the eyes wont be any give away.

If its important for you to know, there are genetic tests, they arent even very costly. This done by UC Davis are probably the best.
IF he is a burmese point, they would easily confirm it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gavin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info. She's going to be gorgeous and have a lovely life.