Chocolate Babka, Anybody?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Don't let the pictures fool you; this is really good stuff. You have to twist the dough and that's why the loaves have those little valleys. They actually looked nicer before I put them in the loaf pans and I think the next time I'll just bake them on my baking stone instead.

They don't look the best, but, oh man, chocolate filling, topped with chopped mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, topped with toasted pecans. Yeah, good stuff. Seriously. Rick took a bite, looked at me and smiled. The topping is confectioners' sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, and flour.

I obviously need more practice at shaping.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone.

They look pretty tasty. Not bad for first time babka maker. LOL Mine didn't look anything like yours and we still ate them. LOL Congrats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys! Rick wanted to slice into the loaf while it was still warm and I think that's what caused the loaf to get a bit mis-shapen. But I do need practice at shaping, that's for sure! I think I'll try a cinnamon babka next.

My MIL ate three pieces of babka at dinner on Sunday; she said it was decadent. And then she took a large chunk home with her. Rick finished the loaf Sunday night.

I do have another loaf in the freezer. I'll share it!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys! Rick wanted to slice into the loaf while it was still warm and I think that's what caused the loaf to get a bit mis-shapen. But I do need practice at shaping, that's for sure! I think I'll try a cinnamon babka next.

My MIL ate three pieces of babka at dinner on Sunday; she said it was decadent. And then she took a large chunk home with her. Rick finished the loaf Sunday night.

I do have another loaf in the freezer. I'll share it!

Cutting while hot will flatten it a bit. But oh how tempting it is to not cut into it.

One thing we do when hot is cut a slice then top it with ice cream and whipped topping... you won't be sorry.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We did that! I had some whipped cream leftover from serving the peanut butter pie on Sunday. We had some vanilla bean ice cream in the freezer. A thick chunk of the bread, topped with vanilla ice cream, topped with whipped cream. I think I actually moaned when I ate my first spoonful. :blush:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My BIL called this morning to say that he was making coq au vin today and he'd bring some down this weekend. So I offered to trade the extra loaf chocolate babka for some coq au vin. He agreed!