Chlorhexidine 1% Cream - Allergic To It, Or Just Annoyed?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, my cat (indoor only) somehow scraped the back of her neck and it appeared raw(reddish), so I took her to the Vet.

He said the wound was superficial and likely caused by rubbing against something. He cleaned the wound and then applied a product called Hibitane (1% chlorhexidine acetate).

I am to apply the product 2x a day for up to 14 days. Ok, I have been doing this for the last couple days but she seems to act very annoyed/agitated immediately after gently dabbing the cream on the wound and runs off to be by herself.

Just wondering if it's possible the cream can sting, similar to rubbing alcohol on us, or is it just that she's aware of something strange on her skin?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is most probably stinging her. It is an antiseptic to prevent infection. You remember what its like putting an antiseptic cream on a scrape, it does sting for a few seconds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is most probably stinging her. It is an antiseptic to prevent infection. You remember what its like putting an antiseptic cream on a scrape, it does sting for a few seconds.
Well that makes sense.
I'm wondering also if it's possible the hair loss is stress related.

I just looked at some of my media pictures posted from 5 years ago when I had first bought her from the breeder (she's 7 now). Very similar abrasion and area.

I'll upload a picture I took a couple days ago - it looks to be in the exact same area as the pictures from 5 years ago (on my media page). Makes me wonder.

It's looking better now than this picture below from a couple days ago, starting to heal and not so raw.

IMG_20190624_154330888.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could she be rubbing against something in your home or catching that area on something? To me it looks like it is an area that maybe she has been scratching or rubbing for several days and built up to the size and condition it is now. Once it has cleared up keep checking that area to see if it comes back.