Chlorambucil & Marinol

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a cat on Chlorambucil and also given them Marinol? I am trying to find out if they are okay to give together. I have only seen one comment on a group chat where someone said not to give CBD and Chlorambucil, due to elimination by the liver (I'm not even sure what the point of that was supposed to mean). But I also don't know if that comment would be a moot point regardless, because I don't know that CBD and Marinol would be similar anyway. Anyway, let me know if you've given Chlorambucil together, or if you were told not to. Thanks for any feedback.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
CBD products have the possibility of being pathway disrupters and can alter the effects of medication by causing the body to have too much available or too little. The list in humans does include steriods, in case you are using pred for the cat. Having said that, I don't know about marinol specifically. Elimination by the liver means that while many drugs are eliminated in the body by the kidneys, some are excreted by the liver. If drugs are retained by the body, either through weak kidneys or liver, it can cause problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CBD products have the possibility of being pathway disrupters and can alter the effects of medication by causing the body to have too much available or too little. The list in humans does include steriods, in case you are using pred for the cat. Having said that, I don't know about marinol specifically. Elimination by the liver means that while many drugs are eliminated in the body by the kidneys, some are excreted by the liver. If drugs are retained by the body, either through weak kidneys or liver, it can cause problems.
That's good to know, about the CBD and prednisolone. I'll do some research on that. And at least his liver and kidneys are good, so I'm not sure if that will also be a determinate. I have an email into the vet, but they don't seem to be up on all of this all the time. Thanks for that info!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marinol is not CBD. It is a synthetic THC. DO NOT give Marinol to your cat EVER. If you are going to use a CBD formula with your cat, always, ALWAYS buy a pet formulation like Holistapet or Pet Releaf. Sometimes there is a flavoring or other inert/additional ingredient in a human CBD preparation that can be toxic to cats.

That said, it sounds like CBD would weaken the chlorambucil.

CBD has immune-stimulating properties, especially in people with suppressed immune function already. Taking CBD with immunosuppressants may counteract or negate the effects of immunosuppressant drugs. This can make the drugs ineffective, leading to a worsening of the underlying condition.
Source: CBD Oil Drug Interactions: Is CBD Oil Safe To Use With My Medication?

What effect are you looking for out of the CBD? Perhaps it's not necessary (cats don't get nauseated with chemo like people do) or perhaps there is a more complementary treatment like salmon oil if you're using it for arthritis/inflammation. Or you may simply have to prioritize the chemo over the CBD until the chemo isn't needed any longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marinol is not CBD. It is a synthetic THC. DO NOT give Marinol to your cat EVER. If you are going to use a CBD formula with your cat, always, ALWAYS buy a pet formulation like Holistapet or Pet Releaf. Sometimes there is a flavoring or other inert/additional ingredient in a human CBD preparation that can be toxic to cats.

That said, it sounds like CBD would weaken the chlorambucil.

Source: CBD Oil Drug Interactions: Is CBD Oil Safe To Use With My Medication?

What effect are you looking for out of the CBD? Perhaps it's not necessary (cats don't get nauseated with chemo like people do) or perhaps there is a more complementary treatment like salmon oil if you're using it for arthritis/inflammation. Or you may simply have to prioritize the chemo over the CBD until the chemo isn't needed any longer.
The Marinol was prescribed by a cancer veternarian for a cat. The Marinol is an appetite stimulant that works miracles, without the horrific side effects that can be caused by Mirtazapine, etc. The cat not eating is the PRIORITY over the chemo. Thanks for your info.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Marinol was prescribed by a cancer veternarian for a cat. The Marinol is an appetite stimulant that works miracles, without the horrific side effects that can be caused by Mirtazapine, etc. The cat not eating is the PRIORITY over the chemo. Thanks for your info.
Wow! I stand corrected. My apologies. This is the first I have heard of Marinol being prescribed to a cat. Who am I to argue with an animal oncologist? If your cat tolerates it well and most importantly, it works for her, then keep doing what you're doing. Marinol has FDA approval (but for animals? I'm not sure about that!) while CBD does not. That means as strange as it sounds to be giving your cat synthetic THC, at least you have the vet's backing and support on this. That's more than I could tell you about CBD. Most vets don't want to touch the stuff because of the "no FDA approval", and the legal gray area. And you're right that eating is a priority.

Have you seen Felinelymphomasupport groups.io Group ? They are very knowledgeable over there. 👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't find the side effects with mirtazapine to be all that bad once we halved or quartered the dose to something much smaller but still effective. It seemed like Krista would get a rush and want to be held and stroked until the rush subsided. Failure to be there for her and she would wander and meow the entire time. Otherwise, she would purr and trill her head off for the 20 or 30 minutes or so of the rush. Then she was good. She'd jump down and clean both plates I set out for her. I found that she would be more likely to finish her food if she had two small plates rather than one big one. It's like, "well, maybe I could nibble." And then she'd feel a little better and work on the next plate too. Krista psychology! Maybe only works with her? 🤷‍♂️