Chinchilla Persian Expert Needed

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I've just joined and was looking for someone that has experience breeding/showing Chinchilla Persians.  I'm very new to all this and would like someone to help me gain some knowledge.

I have a 6 month old Chinchilla Persian female kitten on the active register in Ireland.  When I bought her I was told she was good enough to breed and show.

Do any of you know of someone here or that I could contact for advice?

Many Thanks

Adele

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, and congratulations on your new kitten.

We have several TCS members who are breeders in the UK or Europe. They should be able to give you more specific information about the associations there. I'm only really familiar with CFA.

We can't give you any specific advice without a lot more information, but maybe we can get you headed in the right direction.
Your best resource will probably be her breeder. Does your purchase contract include breeding rights? Most breeder sell kittens already spayed or with a clause in the contract requiring you to get her spayed within a specific time frame. If you don't have breeding rights, that's something you'll need to work out with the breeder.

Where is she registered (which association)? If you have breeding rights you need to contact the association to find out their regulations on setting up a cattery. You can also ask about getting a mentor at the same time. I don't know if a mentor is a requirement, but it's certainly helpful when you're first getting started.

Cat shows are a great place to start. You can meet other breeders, learn a lot about your chosen breed, and decide if breeding is something you really want to do. Most breeders that I know started by showing in the premiership (spayed/neutered) class, sometimes for several years before setting up their catteries.

What is your kitty's name?
And :pix: we love pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you.  I was showing online, but not always at my computer.  So apologies for not getting back to you straight away.

My Kitten's name is Sofia Ava (Reyesdeselva Bonnie is on the pedigree).  I have breeders rights and she is on the active list.

She is a fully paid up GCCFI (The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy of Ireland) registered member and comes from a reputable breeder.

The problem I have is there's a language barrier between myself and the seller.  I would also like independent advice from someone that really knows their stuff, if possible. 

Thank you for answering me and I'm sorry if I've not done this the correct way.  I only joined a few hours ago and I'm still trying to familiarise myself with everything.

Adele

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really only want to be a hobby breeder.  I'm possibly going to show her too, if the expert (if I can find one) thinks she's suitable.  I guess I'm learning the hard way and should have spent more time getting to know my breed.

She's very beautiful and very much loved. 

I have a few pics of her on my profile and I'm hoping to take more soon.

Thank you

Adele

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  I'm possibly going to show her too, if the expert (if I can find one) thinks she's suitable.  I guess I'm learning the hard way and should have spent more time getting to know my breed.
You dont need any expert advice to show her. Just do it.  Show quality is if you hope to win the highest prizes. For just participating, getting the judges opinion, and getting her excellent grade who shows she is OK for breeding - you dont need top notch Show winner...

Being there, you also get into contact with lots of cat people.

What is useful, if you get somebody to mentor you who belongs to the same association as you do. As different associations have slightly different routines in the Shows.

THIS mentor dont even need to be from your own breed. Just someone friendly and experienced.

Good luck!

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I can reply now.  

Thank you StefanZ.

I've been scouring the Internet for advice, there's alot out there.  It's difficult to gauge and know what's right.

The breeder I bought Sofia from is meant to give me advice and help as part of the contract, but she's very busy.  It's taken me 2 months to get a reply to find out her stud fees.  

I'm prepared to pay for advice and someone to look at the cat and tell me what I need to know.

Many Thanks

Adele

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With a Persian you have to get show preparation right - however good the cat is lack of preparation will get it marked down.  I have no idea how it should be done (Orientals just need stroking!) but I believe it starts with a bath a few days before.  I also know talc must be involved as the Persian section often smells like Johnson & Johnson has been sprinkled around.  Really you need someone to show you how to do it.  It might be worth ringing round all the local groomers to see if you can find one that knows about Persian show preparation.

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks OrientalSlave, I'll do just that.

I've got back in touch with the lady that I bought Sofia from and she got straight back to me, so I take back my last comment.  

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Adele

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she will help with show preparation that's ideal - I take it she shows, successfully?

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she does and for the first time, we had a lot of exchanges by email yesterday.

She has some beautiful cats, Grand Champions etc.

Adele.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Maybe she can direct you to a breeder of Persians that lives close enough for you to meet? I really am not an expert on breeding or showing, but if I were to go into the field, I think I'd like to have someone I can spend time with hanging around as they prepare their cat for the show, and hopefully attending the show with them for even more advice and tips. If she doesn't know anyone, maybe you can contact the association your cat is registered with and ask about members who live nearby and may be willing to help, both with showing and breeding.

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll do that Anne.  Thank you for the advice.

I'm learning on the job so to speak.  I need to register Sofia with all the other cat groups that run shows in Ireland....maybe then I can approach them as suggested and find a mentor.

Adele

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Adele. Maybe the GCCFI has affiliated clubs you can find through them? In any case, look for breed clubs ( Persian / Longhair ) to join . Also there are probably local or regional allbreed clubs that might be a good way to get in contact with people. If the breeder shows successfully in your association, also ask her advice about meeting other Persian breeders / exhibitors. Some associations also have a mentor program that you could request someone to mentor you. you may also want to register with the GCCF in the UK if you might want to show there as well, or want to work with breeders there. and they have a specific Chinchilla Cat Club http://chinchilla-cat-society.org.uk/

Learning about show baths and show grooming is essential, since as mentioned, the presentation is important -- that is true in any breed but doubly so with Persians. I myself show a breed with a short single coat so I don't have experience with the kind of grooming you will be doing, but have heard some things from people who do show longhairs. I know before the start of the bath they use something for de- greasing. A lot of people in the States use Goop hand cleaner or a special version called Groomers Goop. Also Dawn dish soap but I don't know if you have that. Then they use a cat shampoo -- maybe a color enhancing one for the chinchilla coat. Rinsing well after each step is extremely important. Rinse until you can't see any soap when you squeeze then rinse some more. If you leave soap in the coat it will look and feel bad.
Here are some tips on Persian baths and grooming. http://www.pelaqitapersians.com/persian_cat_grooming.php That is a U.S. website so it might mention products that aren't available in Ireland? but at least the advice should be helpful, and hopefully if your breeder is in Ireland she will give you advice on specific products. Yes there IS grooming powder involved!

Of course for starters, get your kitten used to a daily grooming routine so by the time the adult coat comes in , it will all be normal to her. Likewise with bathing. It's also good to start showing her as a kitten.

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you maewkaew,

I've been bathing her every few weeks, but to be honest she could do with more as she starts to look grubby quite quickly.  My house is very clean and she never goes outside.  I keep the litter trays immaculate, but her bib, legs and eyes always seem to look dirty.  I'm getting a bit paranoid about it now.  The last bath didn't bring off the yellowing around the bib area, feet or eyes.  I need to find some better products and fast.

Thank you for those links.  I'm still looking for the ones I read previously.  I think I emailed them to myself, but can't seem to find them as yet.

The tipping at the end of each hair also makes her a bit dirty looking, I think.  She has the Chinchilla silver/black tipping at the end of her hair.

adelejackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying again to reply to you.

Thank you for your post and all the info you've given me, it really is appreciated.

I cant remember what I initially wrote to you here maewkaew, but I'm taking on board all that's been said.

Again, thank you.

Adele

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome, Adele, glad to be of help. Again, I am from the USA so I don't know if the products are the same, but what is very popular here for eye stains on Persians is something called Eye Envy, so see if you can find that, or else find out what's in it and see if there is something similar.