Chinchilla breed

xiatchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Can you please help if he is chinchilla kitten. I dont have any idea about this breed. Maybe you can help. Thanks!

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A Chinchilla, is a Persian cat. I believe if I'm not mistaken, Chinchilla is the color of the coat. So right off the bat, your cat looks nothing like a Persian of the Chinchilla type, as they would be a shade of white/silver with black rimmed eyes, extremely thick, long coats. All Persian cats have faces that are flat.

I'm not well versed in Persians but I'm sure others here will be able to explain this better.

What made you think it's a Chinchilla?

The cat I see is a tabby patterned domestic cat, probably short hair. Not entirely sure if color as the photo lighting in all of them makes the cat look a slightly different color on my monitor unless these are two cats, one red and the other brown? Is this your cat?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I agree, the color is not what I think Is usual for a chinchilla but there are Persians that do not have the mega squished face that has become popular. I think they are usually called doll faced or traditional Persians.

Here is an example of a chinchilla coat:

Chinchilla | International Cat Care

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,
I agree, the color is not what I think Is usual for a chinchilla but there are Persians that do not have the mega squished face that has become popular. I think they are usually called doll faced or traditional Persians.

Here is an example of a chinchilla coat:

Chinchilla | International Cat Care
True but the photos shown are not even doll faced. Let alone the cat isn't long haired either.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Chinchilla, is a Persian cat. I believe if I'm not mistaken, Chinchilla is the color of the coat. So right off the bat, your cat looks nothing like a Persian of the Chinchilla type, as they would be a shade of white/silver with black rimmed eyes, extremely thick, long coats. All Persian cats have faces that are flat.
Chinchilla is simply a color. It can be found in many breeds of cats, not just Persians. However this cute little kitten appears to be a red tabby short hair. You can have Persians who don’t have the show type profile which some call ‘doll face’ ( I HATE that name!). They are simply non show quality, not meeting the breed standard.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sivyaleah sivyaleah
No, the cat the OP posted is not likely long haired but I was just pointing out not all Persians are flat faced and showing them an example of a chinchilla.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. Can you please help if he is chinchilla kitten. I dont have any idea about this breed. Maybe you can help. Thanks!
I think he is a dsh red mackerel tabby with possible British Shorthair or Persian ancestry. He looks more British shorthair to me. He is adorable 😻 He does look more tawny in the first two pics or cooler toned than a ginger.

His face looks more like the traditonal Persian which was the original breed standard until it changed when a mutation in red Persian cats called the peke face was adopted as the new standard.

Persian cat - Wikipedia

See collage for comparison.

21DFE928-740A-438A-B976-69D8A15D541D.png

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where everyone is seeing red, the kitten looks low contrast black ticked tabby/low grade black golden on my screen. He’s warm in tone, but his tabby pattern is black (see tips of the tail and ears). Cream can get a similar base tone, but would never have black in the tabby pattern.

Kitten is most likely a DSH, but may have BSH ancestry given the profile is a bit flat, which atypical of randombred cats. Either extremely pet quality or not a recent ancestor (like a parent), given the head shape and ear size.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure where everyone is seeing red, the kitten looks low contrast black ticked tabby/low grade black golden on my screen.
Part of it is the lighting in the pictures. The 4th picture really does look red on my screen.