Chin Acne Poll

What worked best for you?

• Total voters

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been dealing with a couple of cats with chin acne, I never used plastic bowls or plates. One of my cats cleared up after using vetericyn, the other doesn't seem to be responding, I've tried all the recommended treatments but most seem to aggrevate it. What works best for you? Right now I'm trying deluted hydrogen peroxide followed by vetericyn twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BTW I'm using tiny 1 1/2 inch gun cleaning patches I found at walmart, they don't soak up the liquid too fast and allows me to scrub which I do lightly.

I added colloidal silver which I haven't tried but recall someone recommended.

Added Witch hazel as well which I haven't tried.

Last edited:

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess that's what I'll try next if what I'm doing now doesn't work

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Witch Hazel can be helpful if used as an astringent for a cat's chin to prevent acne and tighten pores.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dawn and a baby toothbrush, Betadine "tea" compresses, and Vetericyn VF. The regular vetericyn didn't do squat for our kitty. :)

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woke up with the realization that she's the only cat that I've caught drinking out of the toilet since I started trying to keep the toilet covered. Guess it could the reason for the acne.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really saying this about cats though it might be helpful for them too maybe, I have very sensitive skin and allergies and honestly all the human acne solutions, prescription/non-prescription some of which are listed here too, make things worse for me. If anything they cause even more pimples. :ohwell:

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not really saying this about cats though it might be helpful for them too maybe, I have very sensitive skin and allergies and honestly all the human acne solutions, prescription/non-prescription some of which are listed here too, make things worse for me. If anything they cause even more pimples. :ohwell:
Yeah I agree, the only thing that really worked for me was antibiotics.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I've read every thread on here regarding chin acne and no one has mentioned drinking out of the toilet as a possible cause. Is drinking out of a toilet more sanitary then eating off plastic plates?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up with the realization that she's the only cat that I've caught drinking out of the toilet since I started trying to keep the toilet covered. Guess it could the reason for the acne.
Some cats are just more prone to skin conditions, like people. :)

Buddy has allergies, sensitive skin, and his immune system is a little screwy. So a tiny bit of chin acne frequently turned into yet another antibiotic resistant infection.

After we spent what seemed like forever trying to identify a possible trigger, it turned out that Buddy just wasn't able to clean his chin as well as it needed to be cleaned. Now that we help him with that, we haven't had any further problems.

We also had another kitty who had problems with chin acne. I started Oscar on L-lysine treats because we had another cat who had an upper respiratory infection at the time, and I was hoping to keep him from getting it. It may have just been a coincidence, but Oscar's chin acne started to clear up almost immediately, and he's never had a problem with it since.

Hope you figure out what is triggering your kitty's problems, and what works best for her. :heartshape:

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems to have cleared up for now. My best guess as to what caused it is either from them drinking out of the toilet or the dry foods I was feeding. I originally started feeding Nutro chicken and brown rice and then decided to try to switch them over to American Journey grain free turkey and chicken. The acne I believe started after I started the switch.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has it as well

It's like blackheads stuck at his chin hair, at the roots

I tried some wipes from amazon that has tons of great reviews but, first, they have a very strong medicine smell and I'm worried about him licking this stuff

Second they stain his white fur

I feel like the best bet would be some natural soap based on Tea Tree Oil
Maybe ?

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
For me, better, fresher, cleaner water in a steel (ceramic works too) cat fountain made a big difference (or so i assume. I've never had an issue with my current cats who use such, but my previous cat did have some issues, and her water was not nearly so fine as my cats get now)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like the best bet would be some natural soap based on Tea Tree Oil
Maybe ?
IIRC, tea tree oil can be toxic to cats if it's not diluted properly. So we don't use it in any form, just to be on the safe side. :)

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing that worked for my little guy was a plain old toothbrush! His chin acne would flare up badly and turn into little sores. Eventually what we found was treating the sores with neosporin, and then when they healed I started doing some kitty exfoliation by brushing his chin with a soft toothbrush once every day or two. The blackheads slowly went away, and since I’ve kept up with the brushing it hasn’t come back. Plus I think he likes kitty skincare time

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that worked for my little guy was a plain old toothbrush! His chin acne would flare up badly and turn into little sores. Eventually what we found was treating the sores with neosporin, and then when they healed I started doing some kitty exfoliation by brushing his chin with a soft toothbrush once every day or two. The blackheads slowly went away, and since I’ve kept up with the brushing it hasn’t come back. Plus I think he likes kitty skincare time
Our kitty loves it when I clean his chin with a tiny dab of Dawn and toothbrush! He looks utterly blissed out, and gets mad at me when we're done. ;)