Chin Acne Causes?

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both my girls have developed mild acne on their chin. It looks like little black specks. I’ve been washing their chins daily with a wet cloth and using a clean soft toothbrush to gently brush out some of the specks, and that seems to help. I do plan on taking them to the vet if it persists to make sure it’s cleared up properly, but figured I’d ask here and see if there’s anything I’m not thinking of first.

I know plastic dishes can be a major culprit. But I use all ceramic or stainless steel dishes, washed after every meal. They also have a (very expensive) water fountain that is ceramic with a good filtration system, which I try to wash out weekly at least, and fill it with bottled water since our tap water is a bit sketchy. I still wonder if the fountain is the culprit, though. Should I be taking it apart and washing it every day??

Or, are there any other causes I might not be thinking of? Same food, same litter, same household products...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetics can also be a huge factor. Just like how some people are prone to breakouts so are some cats. Not much you can do in this case though.

Some cats are just greasier than others. If I see it on my cats I just gently scrape off the blackheads and treat any pimple the same way I treat my own.

Oxy pads might help a bit too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just like in people, acne forms because of an excessive buildup of skin oils and bacteria and dead skin cells. Washing the area will remove the stuff. Since cats can't wash under their chins, not that cat saliva is good at cleaning off skin soils and stuff, you'll have to wash it. Use a pet grooming wipe or a washcloth and warm water. You can treat the area with an acne pad (avoid the lips where a cat tongue can reach) or a cotton ball soaked in witch hazel.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact dermatitis and stress can also cause acne but it IS difficult to find the problem if it's contact dermatitis. If there are plants inside the house or if the cats go out, it could be about a plant or soil. Or just fleas. My Hima gets more acne on her chin in the summer even when nothing changes about her food bowls or food.